We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne and Phillip Island

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne and Phillip Island

Hello all,

I have two weeks for the honeymoon trip to australia.

I am wondering if melbourne is one of the cities as well as phillip island for me to stop at?

My plan was to fly into melbourne, spend a day there, one day at philip island, then drive to sydney, spend a few days there, and then fly toward the gold coast to spend time with friends for a few days, then end my trip up at cairns or port douglass for the gbr.

do you think all of this can be accomplished in two weeks?

either that, or i was thinking of cutting out the melbourne stop and just going into sydney.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

Seeing the little penguins is really worth it. The way they run up the beach and waddle into their burrows is so great. I think you would enjoy it.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

See www.penguins.org.au. There are some new viewing options since we went there years ago. I found out because someone did a wonderful write-up about it on this site earlier this year. I also immediately thought you've got to do the Great Ocean Road but then I saw you only have two weeks and you'd want at least two days for GOR. You don't mention when you're coming. The time of year may influence how long you want to spend in the cooler south and how long in the hot humid north. I would suggest you consider flying between Sydney and Melbourne. If you have the time you can do a lovely trip between the two but otherwise it's just a very long drive up the inland highway.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

Mackee .....or an even longer but more interesting drive up the coast road (Highway #1)from PI to Syd.

Itabella - Definitely consider an overnight somewhere if driving either route (coast or inland). Driving Mel-Syd by the most direct route (inland) is about 11 hrs. Coast would be a few hours longer. Most (but not all) of the inland route is dual carriageway - not so the coast road, so unless used to driving on the left not a good idea to get too tired & have attention wander.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

Oh absolutely. There are a few possibilities. We've come up the coast. PI, Wilsons Prom, Lakes Entrance, Mallacoota, Eden and then inland via Cooma. That brings you to Canberra. Or if you continue up the coast you reach Batemans Bay. Then you have a choice of Canberra or Jervis Bay. We've enjoyed visiting all those areas. Itabella, only two weeks:(? (Good point about making sure you don't get tired when driving on the unfamiliar side of the road. Also bear in mind that you have to watch out for kangaroos, etc, especially if driving around dusk.)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

Oh sorry, I'll be in the land of oz from sept 10th through sept 22nd or something like that.

So, maybe the flight between major cities would be good then. I heard the great ocean road is great to do as well, but with a limited schedule, i don't know how i would fit it in.

how about a drive from sydney to the gold coast? is that quite an ordeal too? I think we want to spend one part of our trip driving. Or maybe the gold coast to cairns perhaps? any suggestions?

i heard the trip to phillip island is worth it though.

6. Re: Melbourne and Phillip Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 19:17