We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

So everythings about to be booked, ive had to leave out the great barrier reef just for time constraints.

I know its a challenging schedule but its just a case of walking the fine line between seeing and doing everything but at the same time having time to chill out and enjoy it.

Does anyone see any major problems with it? Apart from jet lag obviously

Monday: Arrive Sydney from LA. Depart To Ayres Rock

Tuesday: Day tour in ayres rock.

Wednesday: Fly from ayres rock To Sydney. Staying at the holiday inn darling harbour. Visiting the sydney opera house and sydney tower in afternoon.

Thursday Day In Sydney: Doing the Sydney bridge walk and aquarium. Nightclub maybe in the evening.

Friday: Sydney Wildlife World in the morning. Poke Koala. Fly Out To Gold Coast about 5

Saturday: Gold Coast beaches

Sunday: Gold Coast beaches

Monday: Gold Coast beaches

Tuesday: fly from Gold Coast to Sydney then to london

Wednesday: Arrive In London

Sydney
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

Hi,

I would suggest that you do the tour of Sydney before flying to Ayers Rock as I would think the last thing you'll want to do after arriving in Sydney is another flight to AR. Alternatively can you fly into Brisbane from LA and onto GC (1 hr drive) first then Ayers Rock then finish in Sydney before flying out.

Also I would look at booking the bridge climb in Syd as some tours book out (esp the twilight tour which you start the tour in the daylight and descend the bridge at night).

The Gold Coast beaches are nice but how about cutting back one of these days and spending an extra day in Sydney where you can catch a ferry on the harbour from the city (Circular Quay) to Manly Beach. You must go onto the harbour and view the Opera House, Bridge and Fort Dennison from a different angle.

Enjoy your trip

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

Personally I would change a few things.......

I think you will be totally wiped out to enjoy your tour of Ayres Rock for one day.....IS it a Must do for you ???? or do you mind missing it.....I would cancel Ayres and use my time exploring a little more of Sydney.

anyway here are a few suggestions for you to look at.

Mon :Fly into Sydney - recover - take a stroll around Darling Harbour and see the Aquarium....(depending what time you are arriving).

Tues:Day 2. Visiting the Sydney opera house and Sydney tower in afternoon. - plus the Rocks / Botancia Gardens.... I would use the hop/on hop off open top deck bus.....to really see Sydney.

Wed:Day 3. Take the ferry over to Manly Beach. Do afternoon Bridge Climb.

Thurs:Day 4. Fly Sydney to Coolangatta (Gold Coast). a day relaxing on the beach.

Frid:Day 5. ditto.

Sat :Day 6. ditto plus see some sights.

Sun: Day 7. Fly Gold Coast to Sydney or Brisbane

Mon: A day in city for more sightseeing.

Tues: Fly home.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

sorry, should read "or drive or catch a bus to Brisbane"...no point flying its only one hour away.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

I agree with the others, I think the trip to the Red Centre is a little ambitious. A bit like flying from London to Moscow for a day, then back again - only the distance from Sydney to Uluru is further. It's not that it can't be done, it's just a little, um, well, crazy (in the nicest possible way).

If you find you're running out of time in Sydney, I'd give Sydney Tower a miss. Look, it's great and the view is amazing, but you'll have glorious views from the top of the Harbour Bridge - and a clamber up the old coathanger is something not to be missed. Book ahead (but bear in mind that they operate the climb in all weathers except gale force winds).

And a ferry trip is a Sydney classic. From Darling Harbour, you can catch one for a short hop to Circular Quay (for the Bridge, Opera House, The Rocks etc). It goes under the Bridge - nice for you to see its underbelly as well as its summit.

halwimsey

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

ooh blooming heck, i didnt realise ayres rock was that far away. thought come ot think about it it is a 3 hour airplane ride :)

the trouble i have is that im not going to the great barrier reef so if i dont go to ayres rock too then im leaving a lot out

ill definately not bother with the tower anymore because like it was said ill be going up the bridge so will get my view there

i mean ayres rock is 350 hotel plus air travel which is very expensive oh and dont forget the tour!

i think im on a round the world ticket so if its possible to fly to tokyo or somewhere else without any extra money then i think ill rather spend the time having a quick trip to tokyo then shell out for ayres rock

does anyoen have any experience with round the world tickets?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

Sounds like you are disappointed about the Great Barrier Reef as well as Ayres Rock. Why don't you check & see if your ticket will allow you to fly into Sydney & out of Cairns (or visa versa) Spend 4 days in Sydney and the rest in Cairns or Port Douglas. IMHO the beaches in PD are nicer than the Gold Coast for chilling out and you could spend one day out on the reef.

of course you would need a domestic flight from Syd to Cairns but Virgin have these most days for around $180.00

Just an alternative idea.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

im definately disappointed by possibly not going to ayres and the great barrier reef, its still on my itinerary at the moment but im starting to tweak it even more now so that it doesnt appear

but ayres rock and the great barrier reef are what identifies australia

you could find similar beaches elsewhere but theres only one place youll find ayres rock and the great barrier reef and thats australia

oh well, this has definately opened my eyes as to opening the possibilities. Losing ayres has opeend up a lot of cash and time for other things that i may enjoy more

i guess i feel i have to go to ayres as opposed to desperately wanting to go

as always thanks for the help, its much appreciated

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

Hey Gavin.....there's more to oz than geography and scenery.....we've got something good going down here...best new world lifestyle on the planet....beats the haze,history and hussle of the northern hemisphere.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

3 days of GC beaches? at the expense of GBR or Ayers Rock?

Hmmmm. Call me crazy - and many will- but that sounds off. Maybe it's cos I take beaches for granted...even in dreary old Melbourne (or so the reputation goes)....but 3 days of paddling about in the water just sounds a bit like something you could do *anywhere*...even in Europe....as opposed to Uluru & the GBR which are only actually found in Oz and nowhere else.....

Note my "advice" (I use that term lightly!) is not biased at all...not trying to convince you to come to my home town!...but thinking its a bloody long way to come to see a beach...or 5...and missing the monolith because of it....????

Just my humble opinion, ofcourse! ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney -Ayres rock -Sydney - Gold Coast. What Do You Think?

You could also do something like this,

Fly via Tokyo into Cairns - spend 3 days exploring Great Barrier Reef, Port Douglas/ Daintree. 7 hr flight

Fly Cairns to Ayres Rock - stay 1 day/ 1 night to see sunset and do tours. 2 hr flight.

Fly Ayres Rock to Sydney - for the rest of your trip. 3hr flight.

Fly Sydney home.

Sydney has beautiful beaches....too....so you wont miss not seeing our gorgeous Australian beaches.

for example : click on thread below...for pictures of Sydney Northern beaches.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c53355/Sydney…