We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

England
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

I am planning to visit in April and definitely want to see Sydney plus some wildlife/outback - possibly Kangaroo Island? I also would like to visit either Great Barrier Reef, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. Can anyone help with suggestions on the best itinerary? Also, any thoughts on whether April is a good time to visit?

Best Seller
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
758 reviews
from US$168.20*
Best Seller
Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour...
1,357 reviews
from US$105.60*
Best Seller
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,102 reviews
from US$132.40*
Best Seller
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
248 reviews
from US$162.50*
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

In 2 weeks? Sure - but it may cost you a bit in airfares! You could fly into Sydney and stay for a few days, then fly to Adelaide where you could take a Kangaroo Island tour, then fly to Brisbane where you could either go south to the Gold Coast or north to the Sunshine Coast for a few days and then make your way to anywhere north of Mackay (either Airlie Beach or Cairns probably) either by train, bus or plane where you can take in the tropical climes and take day trips to the GBR.

Alternatively, while in Sydney you could take a trip out west and take in the towns of Bathurst and the Dubbo Plains Zoo. Try www.visitnsw.com.au or countrylink.com.au. You could then make your way up the coast either by train, bus or plane and take in the attractions along the way until you get far enough up to get a trip out to the Barrier Reef.

There are so many options available it just depends on your budget really!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

Wildlife is pretty easy to find in AU and outback defines a lot of the country more than an hour's drive inland from the coast.

Kangaroo Is is a bit tricky to get to unless you are starting/ending the trip in Adelaide. In any case,main wildlife visible to tourists on KI (apart from in parks, which you can find in lots of places) is seals. OK, koalas are common there too, and if you stay overnight you may see penguins.

In the time you have I'd suggest GBR, Brisbane area (incl Gold Coast & a trip to Currumbin Sanctuary) & Sydney, with maybe a day trip to Blue Mtns. Otherwise you will spend too much time in planes or on buses. If you stay in Cairns when on GBR you can easily travel up to the Tablelands for a day & experience a bit of the outback.

If you do decide to go to Adeliade & try KI (and I would recommend it it if you were here longer), suggest you fly from Adelaide with REX and hire a car there - saves a lot of transit time.

England
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

Thanks to you both for your replies - very helpful and useful for my planning. I'll reflect some more...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

For Sydney - it doesn't get any better than April. My favourite month. Water is still warm, weather is usually settled and just right temp. Glorious. ...that said, weather is weather and it's been throwing some curly ones recently.....

5. Re: Sydney + Kangaroo Island + GBR cruise - feasible in 2 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:23