We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General meals in Australia

Noida
Level Contributor
245 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
General meals in Australia

Hi

I would like to have an idea on the cost per meal for a general Indian/ local English reasonable normal meal for 3 people in Sydney, gold coats & cairns. I am supposed to have atleast 15 meals during my trip so just wanted to budget the same.

We may do with the veg meal incase non-veg is expensive. Also want to know the cost per bottle of Mineral Water and Coke.

Thanx

Vikky

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General meals in Australia

Words fail me.

A nice chardy is less than $15 a bottle and I'm going to have some now-oh to heck with it get me a funnel!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General meals in Australia

How long is a piece of string......

if you want to eat cheap a few suggestions...

Govindas....maybe $10

the food halls...about $7 meal

Coke from supermarket $1

Mineral Water supermarket $1

Restaurant or shop....$2-$2.50

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General meals in Australia

Sydney - shouldn't be drastically different in Qld - you can pay anywhere from $5 -8 to $30 depending on where you go. I can't comment specifically on indian. The $5 - 8 option could be something like a deal in one of the hotels or clubs which would be a steak or chicken and vege or vietnamese or something. You should be able to get reasonable cafe or average pub type meals for under $20 or a pretty good quality tho not high end restaurant for average main price of about $30. If you're happy to just grab a meat pie look to pay about $3 - 4 sausage roll less than $3. Most expensive pie shop I've seen is at Long Reef and they want about $6 - they really have a high opinion of themselves there.

Hotel rooms all have fridges so it's not so hard to self cater for breakfast if you like something simple like yoghurt or cereal, or Macdonalds sells healthy breakfast options for a reasonable price also. Supermarket yoghurt will cost anything from about $2.80 for a twin pack of 200g tubs to about $4.50 for 300 g of the best yoghurt in Australia - King Island Dairy (yuuummm).. You can buy fruit readily in the city either in supermarkets or from the street vendors if you're looking for a healthy and inexpensive snack. Street vendors are a bit more pricey, but the fruit is generally ready to eat. This is not necessarily the case in the supermarkets.

It's vegetarian options you'd be hunting for. Meat isn't expensive here and we eat plenty of it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General meals in Australia

Vikky,

in Sydney I really enjoy the Indian in Oxford Street (Hyde Park end)...actually there's 2 next door to each other,it's the one on the left....where you can get a really cheap meal...there's always heaps of people in there and waiting for take away...about $9 for meat curry (up to 3 types from memory) and rice...veggie is less....$2.50 or thereabouts for tandoor chicken maryland pieces...naan about $1.50-$2 depending on type i.e plain/garlic/cheese. They only charged about $1.50 for a can of Coke too last time I was there.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General meals in Australia

Mainstream Indian I reckon on $12-15 per main. (More for airs & graces). Coke by the glass about $2 -$2.50. A lot are BYO (Bring Your Own) alcohol, in which case maybe $2 per person "corkage".

Noida
Level Contributor
245 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General meals in Australia

Thanx to all.

I have a budget for 60 AUD per meal for 3 people. Is it ok incase i visit only budget restaurants and eateries.

The total for 15 meals comes to around 900 AUD . Hope i shall not fall below considering only budget eateries.

Request you to confirm.

Vikyk

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General meals in Australia

If you really need to stick to that and have the will power to do it, you should be able to.

Noida
Level Contributor
245 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General meals in Australia

Thanx Snodge.

Could you also update me on the nearest wildpark in tSydney city which could be visited to see all the major wildlife of australia.

Thanx

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General meals in Australia

There's a few options. Closest to CBD, and the one I've been to most recently would be Sydney Wildlife World, which is same location as Sydney Aquarium. It does a pretty reasonable job of giving a broad overview of Australian animals, particularly those from the northern and inland regions. SWW is the closest to the CBD and probably the quickest to see to cover the basics. I got the feeling they've made an effort to differentiate themselves from the competition, they had stuff I hadn't seen until I went to the northern territory.

http://www.sydneywildlifeworld.com.au/

A very very popular option is Featherdale - many many threads on that, a search will help and/or see their website. Featherdale is in the west of Sydney, so that's the furthest out, but is included in some of the Blue Mountains tours I believe. A while since I've been so I'll leave commentary to previous discussions.

http://www.featherdale.com.au/index.htm

and of course there is Taronga Zoo, which is the biggest has great harbour views, lovely gardens and a range of Australian and international animals, including a platypus house. It is a short pleasant ferry ride across the harbour from the city, so also very convenient. They'll cover the range, but you'll walk further to see everthing of course.

www.zoo.nsw.gov.au/content/view.asp?id=39

As far as I know, they don't do up close and personal activities with the Koalas at Taronga, but you can do that at either SWW or Featherdale.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General meals in Australia

Got takeaway fish and chips tonight for two us for $10 and I gave the left over chips to the dog ! Had a nice one course and coffee lunch in a cafe overlooking the beach for $23 and we took our own wine. I think Vietnamese and Thai are generally cheaper than Indian, and veg meals are not much cheaper here as meat is relatively cheap and labour costs are relatively expensive.