We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whitsunday/hamilton island

blackpool
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
whitsunday/hamilton island

Hi,

staying in sydney for three weeks over new year, was thinking of an internal flight to either hamilton or whitsunday island, which is better? also, is the great barrier reef accessible from either of these or do i have to make the trip to cairns?

thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whitsunday/hamilton island

Wasn't aware that Whitsunday Is. had an airport. It is a short sail from Hamilton Is. so I doubt it. The two islands you're talking about are both in the Whitsunday Group, a small and rather beautiful set of islands in the Barrier Reef area. They are famous for their stunning white sand and turquoise waters. Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Is. would have to qualify as one of the most beautiful in the world. There is no development on it, thankfully.

A number of the islands have attractive fringing reefs. The main Barrier Reef is a few miles further out by boat but all of the main resorts have trips running each day. This is true of Cairns too.

The best known of the resorts there is Hayman Is. but there are plenty of other good places to stay. Hamilton Is. is by far the most developed of the group with a substantial harbour and high-rise hotels. This may be to some people's preference (and I have enjoyed a rather rowdy New Year's Eve there) but staying on one of the other islands and enjoying more empty beaches and bushwalks will be more relaxing.

If you can't get a flight (busy time) to Hamilton, you can always choose to go to Proserpine which is on the mainland nearby and get transport to Airlie Beach/Shute Harbour, the stepping off point to the Islands.

Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whitsunday/hamilton island

Went to Hamilton Island last October. Best 3 days hubby and I have had in a while. Total relaxation. Up in the morning for a walk, watch the kangaroos/wallabies, have a laugh at the antics of cockatoos(keep doors and windows closed), breakfast, swim, sunbake,swim, lunch, sunbake, swim, snooze, dinner, walk, watch the stars. How stressful is that! We could have done more but we wanted some down time. I believe you can go out to the reef from here but you would have to look up companies on the net. Whatever you decide. Enjoy!