We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

Victoria
1 post
Save Topic
Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

Hi, I am trying to get some good, honest feedback from other Aussies that have toured Europe with Cosmos Tours. We are planning on a 16 day "Cosmopolitan Europe Tour" in Sept / Oct '08.

I would appreciate any feedback on your tour experiences with this company and info about the "optional sight seeing tours" they offer. Many thanks, to anyone who will reply.

Jules - Vic.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

I have 6 co workers who have all gone together on the various Euro trips with Cosmos in the past couple of years. One guy has done 4 tours in 3 years from memory.

They have all had good feedback upon their return. The main "bad" comments have been that they felt a little rushed at some destinations (5 minutes to take photos, go to the loo and board the bus again).

And that the hotels were way out in the burbs rather than in the middle of the cities where they could walk to some sights or restaurants in their spare time. They said the hotels were so far away from everything that they felt "trapped" in the hotel and the surrounding area had nothing to offer and generally felt unsafe to go wandering in the dark etc.

But other than those comments they all appear to have loved the cosmos trips and all have planned future trips with them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

Hi Jules

Maybe cosmos has its own travel forum? Maybe do a search via their website. I have a Trafalgar Tour in Europe booked for Oct. & they have their own forum for Australians/Kiwis. Although moderated by Trafalgar, the comments seem to be genuine-good & bad!. Its handy to find out info on the small things-ask a question in the search box & its usually been asked by somebody previously.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

Hi Jules

We have done four Cosmos Tours, three in USA and one in Europe a 15 day tour through many countries but cannot remember the name of the tour off hand.

We have found them to be fantastic on every tour, I think excellent value for money. The hotels sometimes are not right in the city but have been in beautiful smaller towns on the outskirts. We were always given time in the city to explore as well as city tours.

I think they give the best of both worlds a chance to see the city but also to enjoy the feel of little towns and their sights and people.

We are doing a Cosmos Central Europe trip in June and are really looking forward to touring with Cosmos again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

we went on a cosmos tour many years ago.

it was good value for the price as we could not have done the trip on our own. looking from a budget point of view, the hotels were of better standard than what we would have paid for. of course, the hotels were not in the heart of town but we were taken in to the main towns and had many hours to wander around on our own. for example,we stayed at a lovely little town out of lucerne and enjoyed the local atmosphere there.

on our tour were two barristers from adelaide(barristers on a budget tour?) and they were happy to be on a cosmos tour as they preferred to spend their money on optional tours and wine with their meals whilst on tour. after all, you're only at the hotel from 7 pm until 7 am - just a place to lay your head down. also, one of the barristers was on his 4th cosmos tour.

and yes, we would do another cosmos tour.

melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

Hi Jules,

We are just about to book a tour of Europe (Either the Best of Europe (5161) or Focus on Italy and Paris(4871)We have been told the hotels are not close to the attractions,entry fees have to be paid for at most attractions etc.My travel agent recommends it as it is value for money compared to the others.We hope to go mid june.08

Please let me know if you hear from others who have travelled with Cosmos.Will keep you posted on our return.

Cheers,

Athula

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

bumped for Jolene

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

We have just arrived back from a 16 day tour of Europe with Cosmos 2 adults & 4 kids. The only criticism is that the hotles are a bit far out especially Rome, but that is the only criticism. If you look up Lonely Planet and similar guides you can get all the info on local transport that you need. But do it before you leave as the locals and the guides are not all that helpful. You get what you pay for in accommodation which is why Cosmos is cheaper but overall it was great.

If you pay for the additional excursions you have little need to venture out on your own anyway.

Peter Vic

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

We went on Trafalgar Tour in June this year. It was called European Impressions and was just that. A coach through Belgium, Germany, Czechoslovakia and Switzerland stopping two nights in most capital cities and very briefly in a few other places of interest. We found that it showed us enough of a city/country to either interest us in a future visitor make us decide not to visit for a prolonged trip.

However, we were disappointed that so much of what we thought would be basic sightseeing depended on us purchasing extra tours and was not part of the original tour. If you did not purchase these additional tours, then there was little opportunity to sightsee independently as the hotels were some way from the hub and often there was no available transport except taxis.

We were not told about this prior to our tour, and we had previously done a coach tour where almost all sightessing was included, except for exceptional trips which may not interest all the tourists.

I would advise anyone doing a future coach tour to find out what extras are required to make the trip enjoyable and worthwhile. In our case it was quite an additional amount, but those who did not participate were often left no alternative that to stay in the hotels.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

i think that for most tours, the optional extra tours are commonplace. they certainly do add quite a bit to your total cost.

btw,those Insight tours might seem expensive but they do promise hotels in the heart of the city and include many tours(which would be optional extras on other tours).

on our Cosmos tour, we soon learnt to be quite selective about which optional tours we took. we certainly could not afford to go on all of them.

NSW
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos Tours - Europe - Want good Aussie Feedback.. please.

I've read that a lot of tours have lots of 'optional' components, but I've also been warned about the long waiting lines at many touristy places. It seems that tours which include extras as standards get to jump to the front of these lines, because they have a team booking.

My concern if whether when you pick an optional (e.g. eiffel tour, vatican museum) does that mean you get to enter as a group with less waiting, or do you do all the options as individuals??? I don't want to spend several weeks standing in lines!