We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip - Opinions Sought

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip - Opinions Sought

Hi All

Just wanted to get some expert thoughts on my proposed itinerary when we travel to Australia in Oct/Nov this year.

Travelling with my husband and 3yo son - he is a pretty good traveller (my son that is!!) We will be there for 24 days.

We arrive into Melbourne from Sinapore on 30 Oct, was going to spend 3 nights there. Then hire a motorhome (kea 4 berth with shower/toilet? is this best) and drive the Great Southern Touring Route to Adelaide (3/4 nights). Spend a night in Adelaide and then fly to Cairns. Spend 4 nights in Cairns then fly to Brisbane. Spend about 2 nights in Brisbane and then either hire a car and either use hotels, or go for a motorhome again? We would be heading for Sydney - stopping off at Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie. Def want to take in Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley if possible but not sure where how best to fit it in. We leave sydney for Dubai on 23 Nov.

Had planned to take a day trip to BM or would it be better to stay over in BM for a night.

Our budget isn't tight, but want any costs to be a reasonable one. I priced a motorhome for 5 days for $1600aud (kea 4 berth shower/toilet) not sure if this is reasonable - as travelling with 3 yo son want to make sure its safe, clean and comfortable.

I have used the links in other posts to get info on parks to stay at etc, which has been very valuable.

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

LauraC

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Most of the bigger parks have rental chalets available which have a lot more room than a motor home, full bathrooms, kitchens and usually a sitting area with TV etc. I did a quick price of a medium sized car with child booster seat and maximum insurance protection and (assuming you are over 25) it only cost $644 for 5 days. For $200 a night you could stay in a hotel, let alone a chalet.

Petrol for a medium car will also cost rather less than for a motor home, and a medium car is easier to park at the shops etc.

Just a thought.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Itinerary looks pretty good. Hunter Valley should be done on the way to Sydney. You can go direct to the Blue Mountains from the Hunter valley, though the quickest route via which to do this comes down into the northern suburbs of sydney and goes around on the motorways to the Blue Mountains. Staying a night in the Blue Mountains is great if you have the nights available. Oct/Nov is a popular time in the Mountains with garden festivals and stuff progressing up the mountains as the weather warms.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

I also like your itinery Laura.

I would also question the need to hire a campervan for short periods at that cost. A car/Hotel option will allow you to explore more easily and may work out cheaper.

Fuel is about $1.30 per litre at the moment.

Southern Alberta
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

That cost seems to be pretty high for the 5 days. Unless that includes the cost for the 'excess' insurnace.

For the time you are there, I would agree that a car might be better. And the caravan parks do have vans and cabins you can rent.

Try Britz & Maui for campervans/RV's

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Just a note on fuel prices. Unleaded is bouncing between $1.35 and $1.50 a litre in Victoria at the moment. Diesel is more expensive. I too would go with the sedan/ hotel or caravan park on site van option as it should save you plenty.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Sorry AussieJohn, I was quoting QLD prices. Fair bit cheaper up here. Less taxes and all that lol.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

and just so you have the full set of mainland eastern states.. fuel prices in NSW are similar to Victoria ie bouncing around between $1.34 - $1.50ish per litre. More expensive in regional areas.. A sedan could make it more comfortable and feasible to do some of the scenic routes too.. and you might also cut some travel time.. most of the motorhomes seem to lumber up the highways in the slow lane.. (that's purely a fellow motorists observation. I haven't actually driven one myself).

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Hi TA Oz Experts,

Thanks for the feedback. I am now pricing a medium car and accommodation to compare (looking cheaper already). We have now booked our flights from Belfast and want to now work hard on getting the right itinerary for us. Just wanted to get your thoughts on a few more things (which probably won't be the last...)

I'm working on the first part of our trip: Melbourne to Adelaide via GOR (1) Lorne (2) Port Campbell (3) Mount Gambier (4) Robe. Lets say we will go for a car/accommodation: we need to get a flight from Adelaide to Cairns using Jet* (they only fly direct and depart on 6 or 8 Nov)

(1) is this GOR itinerary ok?

(2) where would you spend longer Mel or GOR? approx 3 or 4 nights in each.

Thanks

PS. price of petrol over in Northern Ireland equates to approx $2.42 - Oz prices will be welcomed. !!

Tasmania
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

I like your GOR itinerary. Lorne is lovely. Not sure on Port Campbell but you don't want to rush this section of the trip. If you were to try to get to Warrnambool you would probably miss some of the sights along the way. You need a little time in Mount Gambier to see the Blue Lake, drive down into Valley Lake for playground and wildlife park, and if your 3yo is up for a bit of a climb, Mount Schank. Also visit Umpherston Cave at night and feed the possums some apples. Robe is a nice little place to end up for the night, perhaps visit Tantanoola cave along the way. I think 4 nights along GOR travelling with a child is a good idea.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Trip - Opinions Sought

Hi All

Thanks for all the input - some good advice - will be checking out hotels along the way.

L