We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

I am planning a big trip to Australia from the UK starting late Sep 2009, yes its a long way off, but I want to get it planned well.

I have so far set out the following itinary, and would like someone to glance a look at it, and tell me if it sounds reasonable, and if I need to include something different from what I'm doing. I would like to go around the Whitsunday islands, but I suppose I cannot do everything. I am planning to go to Australia for 4/5 weeks.

Here is the outline at the moment..

1. Fly from Heathrow to Singapore ?

2. Fly from Singapore ? to Sydney.

3. Spend 2/3 days around Sydney looking at Sydney Harbour Bridge, Bondi, Manly beaches, Sydney opera house, Sydney harbour, Taronga Zoo

4. Take a plane from Sydney to Adelaide (2hrs 10 min approx $119) then from Adelaide to Port Lincoln (50 mins $138) - take a 3 day cruise diving with the great white sharks with Rodney Fox. Shark activity max - june to late sep, realiable for seeing great whites. http://www.rodneyfox.com.au/ 930 pounds

5 Fly from Port Lincoln to Adelaide (50mins) and then from Adelaide to Alice Springs (ASP) (quantus 2 hrs 10 mins). Stay overnight in Alice Springs and see the reptile center. Take a flight from Alice Springs then to Uluru (quantus 50 mins) , 2 nights at ayers rock (AYQ) to see Ayers Rock and the Olgas. Kata is 50km west from Uluru. Fly from Ayers Rock back to Alice Springs 50 mins). Ayers rock is 20k from the Ayers Rock airport. .

6 Fly from Alice Springs to Brisbane (quantus 3hrs). Spend the night or two in Brisbane.

7. Fly from Brisbane to Lady Elliot Island, spend 3/4 nights snorkelling, lazing around.

8 Fly from Lady Elliot island back to Hervey bay.

9 Take a trip out to watch the humpback whales from Hervey bay (Fraser Coast)

10 Hire a car in Hervey bay, and drive all the way down to Sydney.

11 Rockhampton to Brisbane is 615km, and takes 8hrs 33mins..

12 Brisbane to Sydney is 930km, and takes 12 hrs 9 mins.

13 First stop Noosa for some whale and dolphin spotting.

14 Then Australia Zoo at Beerwah, just north of Brisbane.

15 Maybe stop off on the Gold Coast at one of the theme parks? (Sea World or Dreamworld, although I'm not too fussed by the Gold Coast.

16 On the way down to Sydney I would like to do the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley. Heres a great link what I will no doubt do lots off.

17. Spend three/four days in Sydney, looking at manly/zoo/bondi /opera house/up the Sydney bridge that I missed when I got there.

18. Fly home

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
ABC Scuba Diving Port Douglas
Private Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
3 Islands Whale Shark Dive
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Shark Diving, Scuba & Snorkeling
Ocean Dynamics
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Just curious on #5, could you not get a direct flight from Ayers Rock airport to Brisbane? Why the need to fly back to Alice Springs? Seems unnecessary to me. If there's something more that you want to do in Alice, get it done before you head down to Uluru. Also, you have the option of taking a coach/bus to Uluru from Alice if you run into the need to make some budget cuts. Staying in Ayers Rock Resort area is hugely expensive.

Also, I would recommend forgoing any organised tours and put the money towards renting a car (easily obtained at Ayers Rock airport) to go out to the park at your own pace. The exception would be a camel tour; we LOVED doing that. But you aren't limited to doing a camel tour at Uluru. If memory serves, there is a camel ranch near Alice that could be cheaper.

And don't forget to compare domestic flights with Virgin Blue. They might offer better deals.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could fly from Uluru straigh to Brisbane, missing out Alice Springs.

Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

This is a four week outline, I take it? Unusual to see one that does not include a trip up to FNQ. Lady Elliott is to be your "reef experience"?

It's not what I would do. For a start I'd cut out all that flying around in the Centre. If you are going to go up there, then take a little longer. Spend a full day in Alice; then do a 4wd tour (preferably one that includes camping out) to get you to Uluru, and fly out.

Drive from Hervey Bay to Sydney? If you want to - why not. But be aware that Rockhampton is almost 400km north of Hervey Bay. And although you could see the Hunter on the way down to Sydney, the Blue Mts are west of the city and not on the way at all, unless you want to take a detour inland (good idea if that is what you have in mind).

I'd be more inclined to hire a car in Hervey Bay and return it to BRS. Fly to Sydney (on a cheapo) and hire another car for BM and Hunter.

I'd be even more inclined to skip everything south of Noosa and go to Kakadu instead!

But wer'e all different.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Thanks for your reply...I posted on here to get peoples opinions, and maybe I will have a rethink about where and what to do... I'll do a bit of reading, and searching for Kakadu, and see if it will interest me.

I thought that by going to Lady Elliot island, I wouldnt need to go upto Cairns/Port Douglas area, and I would see the reef much better, as Lady Elliot island from what I've read is supposed to be really nice, with lots of snorkling available.

I wonder what else am I missing out on.. any other suggestions?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Im just back a few weeks ago from my honeymoon in Oz. We were away for almost 7 weeks in total.

Had an absolutely Fabulous time!

We stopped in Cambodia on the way out and Singapore on the way home.

Our itinerary was, Siem Reap, Sydney, Port Lincoln, Rodney Fox, Adelaide, Heron Island, Gladstone, Townsville, Airlie Beach, Mission Beach, Port Douglas then Singapore.

It didnt work out that way though. Due to Qantas delays we spent unplanned nights in Bangkok, Brisbane & Frankfurt. Then due to a dive trip being cancelled we had to spend 2 nights in Townsville.

Ok on to Rodney Fox...

I went out on 9th Aug on the 3 night trip, we saw no sharks. The boat journey to Neptune Islands takes 4 1/2 hours, on the way out it was extremely rough everyone on the boat was extremley ill, it was an awful experience.

We then spent 3 days on the boat staring at the tuna bait praying for a shark. A couple of dead seals floated by with large bites out of them. But still no sharks. A seal then appeared and hung around the boat the whole time eating away on the tuna - I guess that was real proof there were no sharks. My husband & I are both divers so we decided to take a cage dive anyway. The water was so cold after 30 minutes we had to come back up. The vis was very good, and we saw a load of eagle rays, smooth rays and a carpet shark. We took a trip over to seal island, it was ok.

We did have fun on the trip but its just so disaapointing to spend that amount of money and not see a single shark.

There were no sightings from the end of June until last week there, when 5 appeared.

My point here isnt to try and put you off going, its just to remind you that although that time of year is supposed to be the peak time for sightings, you can never rely on nature.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

Have a look at tiger airways. www.tigerairways.com.au

whilst I am pretty sure they only take bookings 6 months in advance they tend to be quite a bit cheaper than QANTAS. They are the no frills airline, similar to easyjet, monarch and clickair.

They don't do all routes though.

to compare prices between airlines, try www.skyscanner.com or just QANTAS and virgin www.webjet.com.au

If you choose QANTAS for all those flights, make sure you are a one world frequent flyer as you should get enough points for an upgrade.

Virgin Blue also has some affiliations with international airlines.

Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

that rodneyfox /930 pounds ...is that the size of those #!%&^ers!!!

8. Re: Trip to Australia Sep/Oct 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 03:17