I am planning a big trip to Australia from the UK starting late Sep 2009, yes its a long way off, but I want to get it planned well.
I have so far set out the following itinary, and would like someone to glance a look at it, and tell me if it sounds reasonable, and if I need to include something different from what I'm doing. I would like to go around the Whitsunday islands, but I suppose I cannot do everything. I am planning to go to Australia for 4/5 weeks.
Here is the outline at the moment..
1. Fly from Heathrow to Singapore ?
2. Fly from Singapore ? to Sydney.
3. Spend 2/3 days around Sydney looking at Sydney Harbour Bridge, Bondi, Manly beaches, Sydney opera house, Sydney harbour, Taronga Zoo
4. Take a plane from Sydney to Adelaide (2hrs 10 min approx $119) then from Adelaide to Port Lincoln (50 mins $138) - take a 3 day cruise diving with the great white sharks with Rodney Fox. Shark activity max - june to late sep, realiable for seeing great whites. http://www.rodneyfox.com.au/ 930 pounds
5 Fly from Port Lincoln to Adelaide (50mins) and then from Adelaide to Alice Springs (ASP) (quantus 2 hrs 10 mins). Stay overnight in Alice Springs and see the reptile center. Take a flight from Alice Springs then to Uluru (quantus 50 mins) , 2 nights at ayers rock (AYQ) to see Ayers Rock and the Olgas. Kata is 50km west from Uluru. Fly from Ayers Rock back to Alice Springs 50 mins). Ayers rock is 20k from the Ayers Rock airport. .
6 Fly from Alice Springs to Brisbane (quantus 3hrs). Spend the night or two in Brisbane.
7. Fly from Brisbane to Lady Elliot Island, spend 3/4 nights snorkelling, lazing around.
8 Fly from Lady Elliot island back to Hervey bay.
9 Take a trip out to watch the humpback whales from Hervey bay (Fraser Coast)
10 Hire a car in Hervey bay, and drive all the way down to Sydney.
11 Rockhampton to Brisbane is 615km, and takes 8hrs 33mins..
12 Brisbane to Sydney is 930km, and takes 12 hrs 9 mins.
13 First stop Noosa for some whale and dolphin spotting.
14 Then Australia Zoo at Beerwah, just north of Brisbane.
15 Maybe stop off on the Gold Coast at one of the theme parks? (Sea World or Dreamworld, although I'm not too fussed by the Gold Coast.
16 On the way down to Sydney I would like to do the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley. Heres a great link what I will no doubt do lots off.
17. Spend three/four days in Sydney, looking at manly/zoo/bondi /opera house/up the Sydney bridge that I missed when I got there.
18. Fly home