We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Ski Fields?

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Good Ski Fields?

Hi Advisors,

I'm trying to organise a family group of about 15 people to the Snowfields of NSW. All beginners - some children. Medium Budget.

Now, I know very little about the snow skiing gig.

Is the best way to fly from Brissy to Canberra and then drive to Jindabyne?

Should we stay in Jindabyne and commute daily to Perisher/Thredbo or is it better to stay up "the mountain"?

Is there a large difference in price to do that?

Does anyone know of some good apartment accomodations?

Thanks heaps in advance for any ideas!

P.S or should I just bite the bullet and fly to Queenstown? lol

Glass House Mountains
Mountains, National Parks
Stony Creek Day-Use Recreation Area
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Ski Fields?

yes, fly in from brissie to canberra. flying in to cooma would be better but i do not think there are many/any flights to cooma from brissie.

i think it is lovely to stay on the mountain but it is more expensive too. it is better to saty in jindabyne and commute daily to either bullock's flat and take the skitube up to perisher blue or drive to thredbo. staying at jindabyne gives you the choice of where you would like to go for the day. also, there are other non-ski things to do in jindabyne if the weather conditions are not good on the ski fields eg. movies, trout farm etc.

the snow in queenstown is better but you cannot stay on the mountain there and you have to stay an hour's drive away.

as there are so many in your group, ask a tour company if a package could be organised for you which includes lift tickets(could be $95/day/adult)/lessons/ski gear hire etc. you'll never know if you do not ask.

check out these sites...

http://www.thredbo.com.au/

http://www.snowholidays.com.au/

holidayswithkids.com.au/specials/skinswspeci…

visitnsw.com/Snowy_Mountains_Ski_Deals_p952.…

www.skiadventures.com.au/site/group-packages

http://www.deanes.com.au/

http://www.jindabynerealestate.com/

http://www.discoverjindabyne.com/

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Thanks heaps for the info June. Very helpful indeed.

Queensland
Level Contributor
664 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Hi Beachbum, I have driven down to Smiggins and stayed on the snow and also flown to Canberra and taken a bus to Thredbo, depends how much time you have, staying on the snow is best if you can afford it, ever tried carrying snow skis, poles and walking in those boots?? when you stay on the snow you just walk or ski back to the hotel and put all your gear in the drying rooms, driving to the snow each day with the gear is a hassel. For beginners I would recommend Perisher or Smiggins, if you wait until the first week in September the price drops dramatically and kids stay and eat free at some hotels,(you would need to book early as this week sells fast) I have done this twice and each time there has been plenty of snow, but each year its a gamble. I can recommend Smiggins Hotel it was great all our meals were included the restaurant was excellent, my son stayed and ate for free and even had his own room! from Smiggins hotel there is a free shuttle bus to take you around to Perisher, both fields have a beginnners area, with Snowscene you can get deals with lessons,ski pass,clothing and ski gear all included. visit www.snowscene.com.au

we are going to China this year otherwise we'd be headed to the snow again, have fun skiing

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Ski Fields?

we have done both Aus and NZ and to be honest Queenstown was a standout. A three hour direct flights from Brisbane and you're there. Truly amazing scenery, great snow ( 20 minutes to Coronet Peak) and when you arent on the ski fields there are incredible restaurants/cafes and wineries to keep you busy.

Our kids also loved the whole 'middle earth' thing and we did other things like Jetboating etc...

Have never heard anyone who didnt have an amazing experience - and the dollar is very kind to you too.

lots to think about...

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Queenstown may set you back more on the airfares but there is an immensely broader range of non-snow options available & scenery is more spectacular - depends on whether you've spent much time in NZ I guess. (I'd pick it, all else being equal).

The Bullocks Flat/ Skitube option allows you to avoid any serious risk of driving in snow. Also being outside the park boundary, you don't need to carry chains.

I agree with suggestion re stay at Jindabyne & commute to snow. Novotel Lake Crackenback is very good, great restaurant, a stunning location at the foot of the main range & within easy walking distance of Skitube, but doesn't qualify as "medium budget" unfortunately. Requires a serious splurge to stay there in snow season.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,094 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Hi, have a look at granite peaks in woodridge (thredbo)..not far from Friday Flat. We use this for MTB in summer as we have a large group and 2 or 3 chalets accom us all at a good rate.

Nice and close to the beginner slopes and not too far from the crackenback lifts either. Good self catering and all the chalets have drying rooms etc.

We found Queenstown to be very geared to UK currency and thus more expensive than here. It seems to increase more than relatively each year..

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Thanks so much to all above for the intelligent suggestions and hints.

I am discovering that a trip to the snow has heaps of hidden extras like National Park Fees, Ski Tube Fees, Lift Fees, Clothes Hire, Equipment Hire, Ski Chains, lessons etc etc. lol

If we stay in Jindabyne and save substantially by renting a large house for us all to stay in - the costs involved commuting on the Ski Tube daily (like $42 per person per day) will quickly add up.

This has to be weighed up against the $500 per night for a large bedroom apartment in the snow.

I guess there will be savings because not everyone will want to ski everyday. A couple of people in the group dont even want to ski - just come for the experience. They will stay behind in Jindabyne?

Lots to digest and btw 40ish - I can't seem to find the direct flights into Queenstown - or were you just talking about NZ in general?

Queensland
Level Contributor
664 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Ski Fields?

If you end up driving to the snow you pay a fee on entrance to the National Park, it's a daily fee and starts exactly on the time you enter, when we stayed for 5 days at Smiggins we noticed a park ranger walking around the hotel carpark each day checking the sticker you have to display on the car, if you leave the National Park even minutes late you pay for another day, just something to keep in mind.

Also make sure you have anti freeze in the radiator.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Ski Fields?

We definately flew Bne-Queenstown direct last year - probably another route casualty, although god knows how, the flights were always booked solid.

Your right about the expense involved in Ski holidays - its makes a beach holiday ; ie. towel & sunscreen, look mighty reasonable...

(I do like the Apre-ski though.)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Ski Fields?

Just had a quick look at Air Zealand and BNE-QTW is still there - Thursdays and Sundays.