We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 months in Australia

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 months in Australia

Hi I'm looking for some information in regards to backpacking around Australia for around 6 maybe 7 months depending on funds. Anyway was wondering about the following questions -

Whats the best way to travel around Australia? I don't drive and renting a car sounds a costly idea anywho. Guess I'm looking for a cheaper options or any kind of passes I could buy that work be better be it flying/rail or buses.

Whats the best way to travel around major cities ? Again any sort of rail card or subway pass etc ? Also if you can get a pass are these only valid in one city as others have different ones ?

Any recommendations on hostels in Sydney for a good starting base ? Or any other long term accommodation options.

Best time go ? I'm guessing Dec - Jan are going to be the most costly and hottest too. Though I would love to spend new year there :|

Lastly any ideas on cost for this kind of trip ? I know it depends on what I would be doing but any ideas or anything will be a great help or even average cost of living etc.

Sorry if the post is a bit random, got a few too many questions lol ! All info will be great !

Thanks...Remo :)

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 months in Australia

Australia being one of the most popular forums, a lot of these questions have been asked and answered many times over (especially the Sydney hostels one).

I suggest using the search facility at the top right of the forum, then come back with any further questions or to fill in any gaps.

Also, buy, borrow or steal (well buy or borrow) a guide book as these give great info on on travel and accommodation. Our Lonely Planet "Australia/New Zealand on a Shoestring" was invaluable.

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 months in Australia

Thanks for the info :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 months in Australia

Popular backpacker travel options:

- buy a car with other people and drive yourself

- watch airline websites and book when cheap fares pop up

- get the long distance bus passes (greyhound, oz experience)

Sydney Central YHA is a great place to get started. Time of year depends on the part of the country. Dec/Jan is ludicrously hot up north, but will be just nice in Tasmania. Aug is very cold down south, but perfect up in North Queensland. You can really plan your trip around travelling to places based on when you're going. Any time around school holidays, the accommodation and tours will be booked up though.

$30-40 for a hostel a night.

$5-10 for lunch

$15-20 for dinner

$6-8 for a pint of beer

Transport and tours will probably be your biggest costs.

Also look into getting a Nationwide account - they don't charge fees for overseas use.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,708 posts
1,656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 months in Australia

Try these sites, they will give you all your info needed. Just click onto the threads.

www.greyhound.com.au (buses)

www.gumtree.com.au (accommodation)

The cheapest time is winter time....the best time is September. Busiest time is December to February.

Hottest time - Dec to Feb.

Transport. www.131500.com.au

www.countrylink.info/ country trains.

www.greyhound.com.au buses.

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 months in Australia

Cheers again ppl :)

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 months in Australia

Join your local youth hostel association that is affiliated world wide. This will give you discount on the YHA here for accom and tours. and other stuff.

To join here it will cost AU$25 for a single person.

(I think that is the price)

Hostel accom is about AU$25 per day. Sometimes you have to rent your linen. Don't know about cheaper backpacker accom. Bring or buy a sleeping bag.

Have you applied for a work visa? Casual work will help with the finances. - fruit picking is a favourite as you can follow the seasons in various states/locations. www.jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail

Also working on cattle stations is popular with some.

7. Re: 6 months in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 19:21