We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hiire

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
car hiire

Hi Everybody

Is it easy to hire a car with sat.nav. and air con. without booking ahead?Maybe just the day before.What would be the cost for one day?

Many thanks,

MARGARET

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hiire

Sorry talking about Sydney and possibly Cairns.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hiire

Margaret,

cairns may be a little more difficult to get Sat Nav..and in all honesty it's really hard to get lost there.. (other than in the cairns city area itself). Mostly its one big road with a few well signposted ones going off to the sides for various points of interest.

Sydney... not too sure.. but they have been pushing Sat nav when you hire and i would think it shouldn't be too hard with a few days notice..however having a look at hertz for example they have nothing available for tommorrow and price would be around 150AUD for the day...

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hiire

...and on the airconditioning, I don't think that there are many cars rented out nowadays without it, even at the bargain basement.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hiire

Deni and OTP

Thanks for the info.Was thinking more of Sydney(for the blue mountains)than Cairns,and sat.nav. would be ideal for that,but don't want to book too far ahead as we like to take each day as it comes.

OTP

Like your new photo.

MARGARET

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hiire

Thank you, Margaret. I like a bit of variety. I'm not normally up this late, but thought that England would be bowled out about 50 runs before they were (a couple of minutes ago). Fine batsman, Flintoff. Knocked Brett Lee and Kasprowitz for 6, literally. 4th innings will be very interesting.

I've got to say, satnav is fantastic in a city like Sydney. It is a fairly confusing city and not as well signed as it should be. Coming from the UK, it took me a while to get used to the fact that road numbers are used sporadically and poorly here. For example, the main road north is called the F3. However, there is no sign anywhere that says that. The signs talk about highway 1, which is actually the pacific highway (or is that 93 ?). Confused ? I still can't work it out and I used to travel that route every day for a fair number of years.

If you can get it for a halfway reasonable price then go for it.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hiire

OTP

Just checked online and Avis at Marriott Sydney Harbour where we are staying has a Holden Commodore(never heard of the name)for 101.17AUD for the day,so we will probably go for that.We have sat nav in our car at home and it is fantastic,Des says he wouldn't buy a car withut it now.

Don't know a thing about cricket.Des watches and my next door neighbour plays.

MARGARET

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hiire

Holden Commodore is the family size vauxhaull. I think it's the Omega..

I'm with you on the cricket...but then t it was on the tv last night so the Guru was watching it...sport will win over most programs (not Dr Who tho)

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hiire

Thanks Deni

We only want to hire for one day to go into the mountains,as all the rest of the time we'll walk or take public transport.Trying to decide whether to get travel cards or not?We are in Sydney for 4 days from the 23rd to 27th Nov.,and I would like to spend some time going around the harbour by ferry,getting on and off as the mood takes us.Des wants to do the bridge climb,but I'm still debating.I would love to do the Spit bridge to Manly walk(depends on Des's legs after the climb)and most of the time left will be spent roaming and shopping.Have been thinking of the hop on hop off bus,what do you think?

Margaret

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hiire

The cricket was on television here this afternoon,but I still don't know who won,or if anybody did.

How are your friends?Give them my best wishes.

Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: car hiire

My word! Just had to drop a line to say what a test match! Thought we'd blown it, but it ended up with the right (for me!) result and one of the most exciting games in a long time!

Little worried about the ease of getting around myself. Will be driving from Surfers down to Sydney over about five days. Stops in Byron, Waterfall Way, Coffs, Port Macq and Port Stephen. Is the drive fairly straightforward and about the right distances to cover in a day (I realise that some are longer than others!)

Cheers! And roll on the third test!