We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stop over on way to australia

wales (uk)
10 posts
Save Topic
stop over on way to australia

hi i ma offto australia next octber 2009 and plan on stopping off on my way over there for 2 nts and also the same on way back could ne one help with telling me wwhich places would be the best to do so before i book my flights next months thnaks all

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stop over on way to australia

u didn't say which way you were coming.

but if via asia there are a few choices including singapore, bangkok or hong kong. it will depend a lot on what airline u decide to use. i like singapore but it is a very "sanatised asia". however there is great shopping there and the food is wonderful. more exciting and different is probably bangkok. lots to see and do. great food too. and hong kong is an experience that shouldn't be missed.

if via the usa i guess it would be new york or la and i would assume u know about them.

Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stop over on way to australia

It will largely depend on which airline you choose. You can either pick a city to stop over in and then choose your airline from that or vice-versa. Obviously the second way would mean you can pick the cheaper airfare option. I dont think there is any "best" place as it will really depend on your own tastes. Personally though, Bangkok would not be top of my list.

Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stop over on way to australia

The one huge advantage Qantas & BA have over the various Asian airlines in the choice of stopovers they have available. If you book on an Asian airline you are pretty much stuck with the airlines country each way but with Qanatas & BA you can usually choose from Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore and possibly Tokyo in one direction and a different one on the way home.

Tokyo is a great stopover if you can get that in your fare.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stop over on way to australia

Hi Glen

We are leaving wet and cold Wales next weekend for 3 weeks of sunshine in Australia (I hope). We are flying with Quantas and are stopping over in Singapore for 2 days on our way out and 2 days in Hong Kong on our way back.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stop over on way to australia

I depends on lots of factors.

1. Price. I dont know about you but this would be foremost in most peoples minds when booking a flight as might loyalty programmes if you are a frequent flyer.

2. Origin. Each airline uses its country of origin as its'hub'and they almost all stop there on their way to Oz. ie. Emirates stops in Dubia, Singapore stops in Singapore, Thai stops in Bangkok etc...

3. Your interests ? What do you want to do ? There are lots of amazing things to see in the UAE these days ( Emirates, Etihad) or if you love Asain food etc... then Hong Kong (Cathay, Qantas) is very popular. Some people go via Japan, although that may entail another stop in Milan or Rome or the like. ( how horrible !)

4. Exchange rates - the Aussie dollar is woeful at present but perhaps your pound will fare well against Asain currencies at the time. Too early to know now but it can make a stop-over a great bargain or a HUGE expense.

we usually stop in Singapore which is great, especially if you havent been to Asia before. Personally I'm sick of it and will be stopping in Abu Dhabi or Bangkok next time.

Level Contributor
316 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stop over on way to australia

totally disagree with brawblether, Bangkok is a fantastic place to stop. Visiting The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo superb also Wat Pho with the reclining Buddha. Just loved all the temples and whizzing about on long tailed boats. You can also take a trip to the river Kwai and walk across the bridge. Cannot imagine anyone not appreciating all that Bangkok has to offer, I loved it. Hong Kong also superb, nothing to beat the sight of Hong Kong island at night from Kowloon. Both places quite magical. I only stopped off in Singapore for 2days and highlight had to be Raffles Hotel, didn't really have time to do it justice. Would I rush back???? Mmmh!!!

Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stop over on way to australia

I totally agree with westie........Bangkok is number one for me - for all the same reasons that have been said. Hong Kong comes in second.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,708 posts
1,651 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stop over on way to australia

It depends on what airline you are traveling on...

If traveling on Qantas/ BA you can use the One World Alliance Program which has numerous other airlines for your advantage.

There are numerous routes to take which can incorporate one-stop over or a few depending on the amount of time you have for this trip.

The usual stopover's which others have mentioned are Singapore / Bangkok / Hong Kong. I prefer Singapore but that's just my taste...to me, its the easiest airport to navigate through quickly and the most efficient.

Other stopover's I have enjoyed if you are traveling through London..and have a few days to explore some other cities on route, which can be great fun. I particularly loved Amman.

If using www.oneworld.com which has B/A / Cathay and Qantas you can do numerous routes >

1. London / Helsinki / Bangkok / Sydney.

2. London / Amman / Bangkok / Sydney.

3. London / Budapest / Bangkok / Sydney.

4. London / Toyoko / Sydney.

5. London / Shanghai / Sydney.

Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stop over on way to australia

One Asian city not yet mentioned is Kaula Lumpur in Malaysia. It'd be my choice closely followed by Hong Kong and Bangkok.

KL has good shopping, food and plenty to see (depends what one likes) within close city area. Not as (air/water) polluted as Bangkok, and a little less rush/crowded. Though the Thai (street stall) food is probably better local experience. Cost wise Bangkok would be far cheapest, followed my KL, HK and most exspensive Singapore.

I have had 2 - 3 stop oves in all 4, and enjoyed them - travelling alone you could fit plenty of activiyt into 2 or 3 days. Using a combination/partner air ticket you could probably choose any city in SE Asia.

10. Re: stop over on way to australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 16:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question