We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great ocean road

perth
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Great ocean road

I know there are hundreds of postings regarding the Great Ocean Road but just can't find the right answers so would be grateful for any help. We arrive Melbourne airport at about 4pm. What time will it get dark at this time of year (week prior to Xmas)?

We would like to do the GOR in one direction and go a quicker route on the other. Are the sights, like the Apostles better viewed from one direction or the other? Would we be best to go to Warnabool direct and come back GOR or the other way round? If we go direct to Warnambool, where would you suggest we stop off the first night?

Look forward to some help.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great ocean road

jasper - I'm guessing Perth UK?

There is a fair twilight in that part of Oz, close to longest day of the year and on daylight saving, so light is pretty good until after 8pm. If you are well rested & have made arrangements for a late checkin it is possible to drive through to Warnambool. Driving time according to my handy trip planner:

http://www.racq.com.au/travel/trip_planner

is approx 3 & 1/2 hrs if peak hour is kind to you (for 4pm arrival, I wouldn't count on it).

On the other hand if you are getting off a plane direct from UK & hopping in a car I wouldn't advise it. Different if you are flying in from somewhere like Sydney & are reasonably rested.

You have to leave the car to see some of the sights like Apostles, so no "right" direction to that extent. My preference is east to west so sun is behind me in the early part of the day & I'm usually stopped for the day by the time western sun becomes a driving problem. East to west also put you on the ocean side of the road which can make pulling into viewing points etc marginally easier.

If driving direct to Warnambool, Apollo Bay or Lorne for next night.

perth
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great ocean road

Thanks for that. We're coming from Sydney so will be pretty rested but taking rush hour into account and also driving into the sun, we might be best to head for Lorne the first night and then spend 2 nights at the same place further along. Anybody got any other suggestions?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great ocean road

That's exactly what we did. Drive Melbourne-Lorne first day, stayed Lorne, then drove from Lorne to Port Campbell and 2 nights in Port Cambell to explore the coast. You can't go wrong! Better make reservations asa possible.

Tet

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great ocean road

And if you have problems booking accom, try inland motels - 1st night - Wuarn Ponds,

2/3rd nights - Gellibrand, Cobden, Camperdown. and or/ caravan/camping parks. Much more likely to find accom plus a different perspective of the countryside. If time is limited, no need to continue on to Warrnambool but return Melbourne via Princes Hwy. or

were you going to visit Ballarat and Sovereign Hill. Can do that easily from Camperdown.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great ocean road

You can drive either way on the Great Ocean Road, most people drive it on the way out from Melbourne and then return via the inland route but there isn't a lot of difference. You are on the left side of the road going out, so pulling over into viewing areas is a bit easier and it is better for someone in the passenger seat to see the views....although going the opposite way is better for the driver to see :-).

I wouldn't base your decision on driving in peak hour and into the sun, as Lorne and Warnambool will be in the same direction and W is only really an extra hour or so on the road. If it were me with the times you have mentioned, then I would head to Warnambool and you can head out from there in the morning. It will only take less than an hour to get to the 12 Apostles the next morning and this is always a good time to be there as most of the day trippers will not have arrived and you have the place to yourselves. Good time to do a helicopter flight as well, if that is on your wish list.

Not sure if you are intending to head straight back to Melbourne on the second day but if you aren't, then you could head for a place like Queenscliff and stay overnight there. Then catch the ferry across to Sorrento and return to Melbourne via the "scenic route" along the east side of Port Phillip Bay.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great ocean road

I am not quite sure what you mean by going direct to W and then where to stop on your first night....If you mean the first night after Warrnambool, then you could plan your day like this.

Leave Warrnambool early in the morning and head to Port Campbell, via London Bridge.

You could stop at PC for a coffee or head straight on to the Apostles, they are only 5mins past PC. Do your stuff there, checking out the sites and also going down to the beach at Loch Ard Gorge. As I mentioned, consider the helicopter cruise.

Head from the Apostles to Apollo Bay via Lavers Hill. Have a rest here, could be lunch time maybe. The winding part of the GOR starts here and you will be driving on the cliff tops right along the waters edge for the next hour, small towns include Kennett River and Wye River, before you get to Lorne. On a cruisey day, it could be mid afternoon or later...depending on how many stops you have made along the way. You can stop here or as my earlier post suggests, drive another 45-60mins to Queenscliff and stop overnight here. Both have great qualities, Lorne would be 2-3 hours home the next day, whilst Queenscliff would be much the same, taking into account your ferry ride and slightly slower but more scenic drive back into Melbourne.

perth
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great ocean road

Thanks everybody for your help. I must get booking!

8. Re: Great ocean road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 11:34