We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

NZ
14 posts
Save Topic
4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

We are flying into Cairns at the start of January and leaving from Brisbane 4 weeks later. Has anyone any tips on the best form of transport? We are a family of 6 so we are in a pricey bracket for hire cars/ campers but its a short time to justify buying a second hand car. And wouldn't public transport limit what we can do? Any ideas would be great.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Cairns to Brisbane is a long drive, I would definitely hire a car. I wouldn't bother buying a second hand car it's not worth it, plus you never know if it's going to break down on you, definitely go with a hire car they are reliable and you have limited responsibility for them plus in the off chance you do break down most companies have road side assistance. With 6 people I would go with a Tarago it's an 8 seater van, and I would look into accommodation along the way. If you want to check out prices for car hire www.carhire.com.au and www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au are pretty good with comparing prices.

Good luck

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

This might seem a little out of left field, but if the 6-seater cars are too expensive, maybe check the price of hiring 2 small cars. There can be some fabulous deals on these cars some times.

Aussie in England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

It is a very long drive and you would need to break it up especially with kids. I would recommend stopping at least once overnight. Rockhampton, Bundaberg and kind of in the middle. Ive done the drive straight in 15 hours and nearly killed myself and ive done it with 2 overnight stops too. If you are uop for it, catch the train. I did it all the time during uni. Its about 28 hours from Brisbane to Cairns and you see the countryside and not worry about teh drive. Kids can wander around in the train, you can book 2 rooms of beds and there are club cars etc for food, movies etc.

NZ
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah I think youre right about the hire car but those big firms are the ones where the price differential is the greatest ($2500 over the 4 weeks between a 5 seater and a 7 seater). Are there any low cost car hire companies in Cairns?

NZ
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Thanks for the comment about the 'two car hire' option, you're right it still over $1000 cheaper to hire 2 small cars than 1 big one. Aren't these hire companies missing a trick? We're not the only 6 person family out there and I can't find any mid size/ price option at a better price.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Have a look at my Go-List which I wrote that gives you some good tips regarding this route.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

also research these forms of transport.

Tilt Train : http://www.railaustralia.com.au/tiltTrain.php

For campers:

www.britz.com.au

NZ
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Thanks Ellemay, your coastal route itinerary is great.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Difficult, most of the cheaper options do not do one way, only local touring. Maybe send these guys a mail, never know. At least they say they can arrange one way.

http://www.lowcostcairns.com/rentals.html

NZ
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

Hi thanks for the rental tip. I rang them and they told me they were no longer in business - they must have been too cheap! Thanks anyway

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 weeks in Queensland. Whats the best form of transport

You have time to do short hops every day. Stay O/N at caravan/holiday parks. They have cabins which accom often 6 people with kitchen and en-suite.