We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To be a Destination Expert or not?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
To be a Destination Expert or not?

I've been asked to become a DE for Sydney a couple of times recently & am a little reluctant to do so. Would be interested in some honest feedback on what others think please.

I am not in the same class as Ellemay, Guruswife & others I'm afraid & my spelling & computer skills leave a lot to be desired!! (although I have recently learnt to cut & paste!)

Would appreciate some input from locals & visitors as to the helpfulness of some of my posts.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Mikey36

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Mikey, your info is always valuable and that is what counts.

If it were spelling and computer skills then many of us would soon not be DE's

(My typo mistakes are enough bother!)

Welcome aboard please!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Thanks GW,

Appreciate the input, I've had a couple of PM's from others, so will do a little more thinking!.......

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Hi Mikey... it is the internet, no one cares about your spelling.

We do care about your valuable advice so i say, welcome aboard!

If the spelling is a problem for you, you could write your response in Microsoft Word, then run your spell checker and then copy/ paste into the forum.

Cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Hello,

A voice from the other side of the world.

I have declined DE myself many times but only on account of my usage of TA being few and far between these days.

Spelling is of no consequence. It is the availability of expert advice that is important more so than the amount of people replying with nothing much of interest.

Becoming a DE does not involve anything more than the pride of people knowing that your advice is expert and honest so much so that other people have valued it enough to suggest you as a DE.

The more DE's the better for the TA community.

Im floating around finding info on Perth and saw this. Im travelling in April but sadly not to Sydney. I opted for Phuket for the second leg of the trip. Sorry :(

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Hi Mikey

If spelling and typing skills were a requirement to be a DE then I would never qualify. If you feel you have the time and knowledge, GO FOR IT. The more the merrier.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Mikey - I am anal about spelling (Ask HowzatPerth about it :-) )but that is just me. I must admit to gritting my teeth at those who use text style abbreviations in their posts. You don't. I enjoy your posts.

From a time perspective, you give as much time as you wish. There are no conditions attached to being a DE except that you need to provide honest and accurate advice. The DE tag does bear some wait with some people, hence the need for accuracy. You don't have to answer every post either. You basically just do what you do now only with a little DE under your name. Go for it.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Can never be too anal about spelling. Was this deliberate, "... does bear some wait ..."?

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Hi Mikey,

Hope you don't mind a non DE giving an opinion...

I think the fact that you are giving this decision so much consideration means that you are just the type of person who should be a DE.

For me a DE should give unbiased advice and care about others. After all for most of us a trip will take up a good proportion of our incomes and involve saving for months if not longer. It costs a lot of money to get to Aus and the people who come often will not be able to get back here again. So the advice given is very important.

You seem to give relevant and useful advice and from this post you seem to have humility as well. The last thing we need is someone arrogant enough to beleive they deserve the green tag. Fortunately most on the Aussie board seem to fit the criteria. The same can't necessarily be said for those on other forums.

So, for what it's worth I think you fit the bill nicely. And you may notice that spelling and grammar are not on my list of requirements for a DE. After all, most of the people making enquiries have fairly poor spelling anyway - no one will even notice (except Perthite of course but I'm sure you'll be forgiven a couple of errors now and then).

Cheers,

WM.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Only kidding about the spelling. Mikey, obviously a lot of people value you insight and advice and someone nominated you. Take the DE tag you can always change your mind later.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To be a Destination Expert or not?

Thank you all, this is what I was hoping to hear really, from DE's & other contributers.

If I do accept, (which is now looking likely!) I won't be changing my TA patterns- can't spare anymore of my time not at work or my house will be a total disaster! We've recently bought a little Eee laptop (AKA my baby!) which is great to surf TA while watching sport etc. on TV & still feel part of the family-tricky to type on though!

berti2- I'm sure you'll love Perth so much you'll want to come back to Australia in the future & visit Sydney then! April is a great time to be in Perth (I was there April 2 years ago).