We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

I want to ship about 10 boxes of clothes and books back to NZ/Aus. Can anyone recommend a shipping company to use? I'm looking at either:

Anglo Pacific

PSS International

Allfreight (Wentworth International Movers)

I was thinking of maybe going with the last company but am a little unsure as I can't find any reviews on them at all and they seem to be a smaller company. I've found a mixture of good and bad reviews for the other two companies.

I was also thinking of flying some boxes home but am unsure because of the cost. If anyone knows of a way to fly good home cheaply, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

When moving from Ireland, we shipped 3 large boxes registered post. We had someone to pick them up here and it was about half the cost of sending it excess baggage with the airlines.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

I thought it would be too expensive to send boxes by post? I was thinking of either shipping them back or sending them by air as unaccompanied baggage.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

It was cheaper sending them by post then excess baggage (you have to pay customs charges on these) or courier companies (very $$$).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

am wondering if you posted this question on the uk forum too? you might get good help from that forum.

i could help you with info for excess baggage from australia but that is not your question.....

Canberra
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

We've just received our shipped goods, we had 11 items - nine boxes and two suitcases full of clothes momento's computer equipment and a TV sent from Glasgow to Canberra. We paid to have the goods Door to Door. Other options includes door to port (not so good when your shipping to Canberra).

We choose Seven Seas shipping. They delivered empty boxes to us on payment of a deposit, then when we were ready we rang and asked for a driver to come pick up the boxes (a couple weeks later). From there the boxes went to the warehouse where they were properly logged and priced (you receive an estimation but as we weren't sure how many boxes we would need they allow you to over orderon the boxes and don't charge until your all sorted out!). Your goods stay at their warehouse until you pay your account so that they don't have goods sent and not paid for.

Once a full shipment is sorted out everything goes into a big container and is sent on the ship.

time goes by

You have a nice holiday

You get sick of the same clothes and arrive home

You track your shipment as it travels slowly by boat

Ships can take a very long time to arrive when you are waiting on your nice clothes! good excuse to buy some new things.

Once the shipment was received in Australia they rang us to let us know. Then Customs has their say, Seven Seas acts as your agent but they don't pay the customs bills - thats yours to sort out. We knew this and were prepared so when they rang and told us that we needed to pay 85 Aud we did so. You pay directly to customs and recieve an invoice.

Their delivery around Australia seemed a little slow compared to the UK where they deliver every day (ie they delivered to Canberra only on WEdnesdays and our goods were released late tueday evening and missed the truck so we waited another week).

All in all it took about three months for our stuff to arrive. (a family member waited 6 months for a shipment from the USA)

Meanwhile we are still waiting on one of the packages we sent via the UK postal system at the same time. (Actually we are also waiting for a christmas present from last year that was sent to the UK that was lost!) A note on sending stuff through the mail from the UK. keep your boxes under 2kilos will keep the price lower, once you go over you really start to pay big money and you can send by ship through the post but it is still expensive and you will need to get it to the post office to send it not viable with large items.

Customs is still payable on items that are posted as well and it is checked. Just remember if you owned it for more than a year you shouldn't need to pay customs, if the value of your shipment is over 1000 dollars (or about that) you will also need to pay customs. It is worth checking with the customs site to make sure what you are sending home is worth it. (or get the boss to pay for your stuff to get home)

The cost to us was around 500 pounds which for the added security, insurance and delivery door to door was well worth it.

On another note. We paid around 700 AUD for a different luggage company to send extra stuff by Air over when we went to the UK. It was lost (it went to africa), impounded(because it went to Africa) and finally turned up at a delivery office where we had to pick it up from despite paying port to door and big phone bills because they only had an Australian office and no international reverse call number.

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Nottingham
Level Contributor
69 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

BUMP.

Can anyone tell me more about the customs charges that are associated with shipping stuff home? Is it less if you choose door-door shipping?

At this stage I'm not sure how much stuff we are going to have - but it shouldn't be more than 3-4 boxes. However, most of it will be souveniers that we have accumulated during 3 years of living and travelling whilst in the UK.

Just don't want to be hit with a HUGE bill to collect my stuff when I get home!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

BUMP? are you serious?

please post your question as a new thread!!

8. Re: Shipping excess baggage from UK. Which company should I use?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 13:16