We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

New York, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

My friend and I are arriving into Sydney on January 21 and staying there for two nights. After that we will be driving along the coast of Australia for 8 days and camping along the way. We are flying out of Brisbane on the morning of the 31st.

We have already reserved our first campsite south of Sydney, Huskisson White Sands Tourist Park, for the weekend of the 23rd, 24th, and 25th. We plan on spending the first day in Jervis Bay (particularly Hyams Beach), the second day in Kangaroo Valley, and the third at Pebbly Beach.

After that we are going to drive north until we get to Fraser Island. We would like to leave Fraser Island on the evening of the 29th so we can spend the 30th in Brisbane.

I would love some suggestions on how to build our itinerary! Especially between the time we leave Huskisson on the 26th and arrive in Brisbane (on the 30th??)

We were thinking somewhere approx 2 hrs past Sydney for the night of the 26th since we will be leaving from Huskisson and it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Sydney..

What are the "must go to" places along the way, and how long do we need to spend there?? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Major Hitch...the 26th is Australia Day, read Thanksgiving Traffic,it is also the next to last day of school holidays for many children heading back towards Sydney so your two hours past on a normal day could well be a 4 hour drive..add the Jervis Bay 2 hours and you now have about 8 hours.

I would normally suggest perhaps Port Stephens and going back to Sydney via the Seacliff/Grand Pacific if you aren't doing it on the way down then heading west and up M7 to take the Putty Rd and then back across agin...totally scenic..but this is a long driving day without traffic hitches.

After Port Stephens (I actually prefer the Hawkes Nest side...2 nice little camp ground there) then you would aim for somewhere near Nambucca Heads which is a pretty stop. Maybe Yamba after that, or even as far a Kingscliff. You could go through from Port Stephens to Kingscliff and then Kngscliff to Fraer if need be..

There are a multitude of wonderful stops along the way,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Yes I would also recommend not driving on the 26th, I'd spend an extra night at Huskisson.

For Sydney to Brisbane tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Yes agree totally with GW & Mikey re traffic on 26th. Much of this will be inward bound to Sydney but a fair volume also heading away from holiday resorts to other population centres.

A "plan B" for 26th might be to take the roads less travelled - cutting inland to avoid Sydney, stay somewhere like Cowra, Mudgee or Bathurst & pop back to the coast north of Sydney on 27th

New York, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Thanks guys... wow! Never even thought about the traffic issue. We will rethink our options.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Hi,

I noticed your statement "We plan on spending the first day in Jervis Bay (particularly Hyams Beach), the second day in Kangaroo Valley, and the third at Pebbly Beach."

Pebbly beach is located south of Jervis Bay in the Murramarang National Park between the towns of Ulladulla and Bateman's Bay, which is a longer drive to Sydney than Jervis Bay.

Its approx 3½ hours drive south from Sydney or 2 hours east from Canberra.

Turn east off the Princes Highway onto the Mount Agony Road. You will see this turnoff 38 km south of Ulladulla or 14 km north of Batemans Bay.

http://www.pebblybeach.com.au

You a easy access on the 26th to avoid the Pacific Highway to Sydney you would be best driving to Bateman's Bay from Pebbly on the Kings Highway through Braidwood and onto Goulburn (Hume Highway) its a 2hr drive from Goulburn on an excellent freeway, you could then hook onto the freeway to Newcastle avoiding Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

Not such a good option EM,

You get all the canberrans heading back from the coast that way.

I think OP is staying same place for the duration and just daytripping it, which it all being so close together would make good sense. the only other thing that might work would be heading out on Sunday through Kangaroo valley.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

I wanted to update this post and put down my final itinerary for my trip to Australia. Let me know what you think!

Jan. 21-22 Staying in Sydney. Sightseeing and going to see "The Burlesque Hour" at The Studio presented by Sydney Opera House on the second night.

Jan. 23-25 Camping in Jervis Bay. Going canoing in Kangaroo Valley, relaxing on Hyams Beach, and maybe taking a day trip down to Pebbly Beach (or somewhere else?)

Jan. 26-27 Staying in Katoomba. We plan on doing the Scenic World pass and taking a ride on the railway and skyway or cableway. Maybe taking a short hike somewhere.

Jan. 28-29 Staying in Hunter Valley. Renting a bike (against the warnings from posters that it will be miserably hot!) Thinking of going to eat at The Cellar in Hunter Valley Gardens and maybe doing a tour.

Jan. 30-31 Flying into Melbourne and taking the bus down to Phillip Island (We aren't renting a car for this leg of our trip). Going to the Penguin Parade the second night and spending that day using the other passes in the "3 Parks Pass".

Feb. 1 Going back to Melbourne as early as possible. We are going to take the ferry this time instead of taking the bus the whole way. Staying in Melbourne and doing a little sightseeing.

Feb. 2 Fly back home via Sydney.

All of our accommodations are booked as well as the tickets to the Opera House, canoe trip, bike in HV, and 3 Parks Pass on PI. Any suggestions or recommendations are always sincerely appreciated!

8. Re: Driving from Jervis Bay to Fraser Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 13:19