We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

Hi there,

Just wondering if I am going to melt/fry my expensive flat iron while on holiday, even with converters and adapters?? Been Hearing different things... maybe regards to the high very high temperatures??

Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated!

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

Would it be a suitable alternative to buy a cheap flat iron here instead?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

Basically yes - you will fry it. While an adaptor will allow you to fit it in the power socket - our voltage is very different to yours.

Either forget the vanity for the holiday or buy a $20 hair straightener when you arrive.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

You must have the voltage converter...

not just a plug coverter...

if ypu choose to take the cheap option (plug converter) please invite me to see the fireworks...if you spend a few $$ more then I'll stay home

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

i wouldnt buy a cheapie 20 dollar hair straightenr,they rip your hair.maybe 40 odd dollar one.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

you'll be fine, if your straighteners dont have a switch in-built to choose the voltage then yep, you'll need both a converter and an adaptor as you thought.

btw i switched my hairdryer from UK to USA voltage once by accident, no fireworks but it did go bang and it did kill it!

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

But your phone recharger (if you bring it) may well be able to handle our voltage (most do, check the label which will say whether it can accept 240 volts). I know you didn't ask this, but thought I'd mention it....

--- G

Lake District
Level Contributor
281 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

I was wondering the same thing with my UK appliances, straightners, hair dryer psp's etc etc. Is the Australian voltage different to the UK and would I therefore need a voltage adaptor,

Thanks

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

I agree that you can't use these in Australia. The converters will only change the plug part and not the voltage.

When my mother came to OZ for a holiday with us, she bought an inexpensive hair dryer because that was something she wanted.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

Don't know what voltage is in UK but it is 240V in AUS.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I gonna fry my flat iron/curling irons...??

You don't need a converter if you're coming from the UK. Just a plug adapter which you can pick up from most travel stores and airports. My phone charger is still my Irish one, so I always have a few stashed around the place.

For travellers who want more information on whether their appliances will fit, here's a great website:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm