We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

new york, ny
8 posts
Save Topic
November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

Hello, all! I'm in the early stages of planning our 2 week honeymoon, set for November 09. I was hoping I could get some feedback on this tentative itinerary? We really want to get a taste of the city, the beach, and the outback, with a good mix of relaxation and adventure.

Flying from NYC:

Day 1,2: Hong Kong to break up the trip (staying at the Intercon)

Day 3,4,5: Sydney (thinking of staying at the Establishment or the Observatory?)

Day 6,7,8: Fly to Cairns and from their heli to the Paradise Bay Eco Escape for the whole snorkeling, boating, beachside relaxation thing

Day 9,10: rent car and drive west to Wrotham Park Lodge for some cattle wrangling, fishing, etc.

OK so at this point I need some opinions. Do we drive back to Cairns (wrotham lodge is 300km due west of the city) and fly south or is it possible to drive to sydney from the lodge (through the outback)? Is that crazy?

I think we might do a night or two at Lilianfels resort in the Blue Mountains...unless there is another region we are crazy to miss? Any great adventures we are skipping out on?

Many many thanks for any suggestions!

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
Geologic Formations, Mountains
Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Dandenong Ranges
Mountains, National Parks
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,565 posts
1,601 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

Hi,

Your itinerary until u say driving from Wrotham Lodge to Sydney is fabulous. Driving Darwin to Sydney takes a HUGE 4,100 km - at least 21 days.

It takes approx 4 hours 30 minutes to drive from Cairns to Wrotham Lodge. You will need a 4WD and check weather conditions regarding the roads. The resort closes in mid December.

My suggestion would be to fly Darwin to Alice Springs via Ayers Rock (Uluru) to Sydney to see our beautiful outback.

Flight times:

Darwin to Alice - 2hrs.

Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayers Rock) - 45mins

Uluru to Sydney - 3hrs.

www.qantas.com.au

For more information on Uluru and Alice click on the threads below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255063-c85960/Alice-…

Observatory Hotel is perfect for a honeymoon.

Lilanfels in also gorgeous for a special treat.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

It says on the Wrotham Park Lodge website that the resort is only open from 1 April to 31 October each year (to avoid the wet season), so you'll need to find an alternative given that you're planning to travel in November.

The drive from Wrotham in north Queensland to Sydney would be over 2,500km. You'd be much better off driving back to Cairns and flying to Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,565 posts
1,601 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

Thats interesting temp,

as on the webpage it says two different times..

" The Resort operates during the dry season only between April and mid December each year " under Facts "

and also Wrotham Park Lodge is open from 1st April - 31st October each year.

I actually presumed it to be closed too but checked on the site and found the above statement.

So KK I would certainly check your booking !

new york, ny
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

thank you everyone! i will look into these suggestions. australia is quite huge, i am (rather ignorantly just) realizing.

5. Re: November honeymoon- how is this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 14:18