We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Hi

My future husband and I are heading to Oz for a 3 week honeymoon in September. We want to see as much as possible while still being able to sit back, relax and enjoy the buzz.

We're just after some advice. Are we doing too much to be able to relax or should we fit more in? We've come up with a rough plan so please critique the first draft of our itenerary:

Mon 14th Sep Depart LHR

Tue 15th Sep Arr Sydney, sleep

Wed 16th Sep Sightsee - harbour, bridge, cruise, opera house

Thu 17th Sep circular quay,taronga zoo

Fri 18th Sep Blue mountains & Rosemount estate

Sat 19th Sep Fly to Cairns and relax

Sun 20th Sep kuranda scenic railway, skyrail

Mon 21st Sep rainforest tour, train to Port Douglas

Tue 22nd Sep Diving, kayeking, swim

Wed 23rd Sep "

Thu 24th Sep Fly to Sydney and pick up car and head to Melbourne

Fri 25th Sep Stop at Narooma

Sat 26th Sep Arrive Melbourne

Sun 27th Sep observation deck, Luna park, pier 1857

Mon 28th Sep Queen Vic market, puffing billy

Tue 29th Sep China town,

Wed 30th Sep Great Ocean Road

Thu 1st Oct Great Ocean Road

Fri 2nd Oct Fly home

Thanks loads

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

narooma to melbourne on sep 26th is quite a drive. can u make it a little bit further south eg. eden/merimbula from where ever u r staying on the night of 24th?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Blue Mountains & Rosemount Estate....

It is over 3 hours between the 2. It is possible to do a day trip to either in 1 day, but not both on the same day....

Sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Considering you have not been here before you have done some great research.Sydney first stop looks fine except 18th you either do Blue Moutains or Hunter Valley not able to do both in a day as Rosemont is in Hunter Valley.

Cairns is fine except there is no train to Port Douglas on 21st sept unless you mean the little tourist train in and around Port Douglas? But you would have to drive to Port Douglas.

Now the section driving Sydney to Melbourne is a bit of an issue it is just too short to see anything you might as well fly. But if you drive and you want to follow the coast down then suggest you make it a two night journey so you are not too tired to do honeymoon stuff..... and you get to have a surf or sunbake. I am travelling around Australia at the moment in a Britz Campervan and they are such fun and has a certain romantic feel to it as you can stop on the beach front and have lunch or a nap and hear the waves ...I just love it www.britz.com.au/campervan-hire-australia if you do not want to do that you can hire a car from them and stay in hotels but I loved campervanning for the fun and freedom. Just an idea. If you hire a Britz you get 10% discount at Big 4 Holiday Parks . You may want to stay in cabins rather than the campervan... But it may work out cheaper to hire a campervan than a car and a hotel room plus you can cook for yourself and save dollars.

Melbourne itin looks fine except Puffing Billy is out of town in the Dandenongs and you would need to drive out there to do train. Great ocean road is fine in two days an just divine in your own car or campervan.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

I can offer some feedback regarding the Cairns/PD leg.

sat 19/sun 20th- perfect.

Mon 21st Sep. rainforest tour- excellent!. This will take all day. Don't know what you mean by "train to Port Douglas" There is no train from Cairns to PD. May I make a suggestion...you book your rainforest tour with a pick up from Cairns, but a drop off at your Port Douglas accommodation (there should be no problems and no extra charges for that), then organise that your luggage by bought up on a bus that day, that again is possible, happens regularly and will be about $10 per piece of luggage.

Tues 22nd Sep. Diving- great. Reef tours are one full day, so save the kayaking & swim for the following day. there are many full day reef trips from PD that will take you to the outer reef- beautiful. You can pre book or reserve when you arrive at PD.

Wed 23rd. Kayak, swim, explore Port Douglas. great choice! (nice day spas too)

From there, why not take a flight from Cairns to Melbourne? I presume you have friends in Narooma, hence the drive from Syd to Melb.... Narooma is very beautiful, just a pity to drive right past it and not have more time to explore that area. Just a thought.

Cheers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Thanks for all your advice, its really helpful.

I just assumed that there'd be a train from Cairns to Port Douglas!

We don't have friends in Narooma DaintreeJungleJen, we just thought it looked like the nicest place to stop. But your suggestion of flying straight to Melbourne from Cairns makes much more sense, and gives us some more time too. Regarding what you said about transferring our luggage from Cairns to PD - can you tell me a bit more about this please. I know you said it happens regularly but I'd be nervous about leaving my luggage with someone.

The campervan idea sounds fun Travelyackie, we'll def give this some thought. The only time we'd need our own transport now is along the Great Ocean Road. Would a campervan be suitable for this leg of the trip?

How does Hunter Valley compare to the Yarra Valley Vineyard? Are there tours that go there or is it pretty much self service?

Thanks againg for all your help.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

the yarra valley is more easily accessible from melbourne than the hunter is from sydney but there are tours to both. the yarra valley has a cooler climate than the hunter so wine styles and to some extent the varieties grown are different. it's half a dozen and six as to which is the more pleasant area to visit.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

The Queen Victoria market is not opened on a Monday or Wednesday. As you arrive on Saturday, I would go either Sunday or Tuesday. Sunday's are more arts and craft and not all stalls are opened, while Tuesday's are more of a mixture of food, with arts and craft as well and all stalls opened. http://www.qvm.com.au/

Also have you booked accommodation in Melbourne? You are arriving on our busiest sporting day - the AFL Grand Final and accommodation will be hard to find.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Liaise with your hotel in cairns. They will have a secure place to store luggage until the bus arrives to collect it and deliver to your new hotel in Port Douglas- they too in turn will store for you. There are a number of bus companies including Sunplam, ECC and BTS. Your hotel should be able to arrange this for you. I wouldn't be concerned about leaving your luggage with others, you will find everyone in the tourism industry is really customer focused in Cairns region as we rely so heavily on tourism.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Puffing Billy is easily accessible by Public Transport. There's a current thread which gives travel info for PB as well as giving some info on wine tours:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k2551…

Melbourne has several great wine regions close to the city. As well as the Yarra Valley, we have the Mornington Peninsula plus the Bellarine Peninsula. Both of these areas could be included as part of the drive down the GOR. Here's some info on the GOR:

visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/…

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne honeymoon itenerary

Check back with us closer to the date re wineries near Melbourne. Some of the Yarra Valley wineries have had a rough deal with the bush fires. But Mornington and Bellarine Peninsulas are a OK.

There are personalised winery tours to think about.

It won't take you all day to see china town, though there is an interesting museum there. Combine it with a walk around the Fitzroy Garden, Treasury Garden & Melbourne city Museum in the old Treasury building(all in the same vicinity) or a pleasant day at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens.

OR

take the train to Bendigo for the Chinese temples and Museum and gold mine tour

OR

Ballarat and Sovereign Hill.

If you arrive in Melbourne early enough you could take a coach tour to Phillip Island that same day. coaches generally leave Melbourne about 3-4pm .