We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st of many questions!

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
1st of many questions!

Just in the beginning stages of planning an extended (2mths) trip.....have read this board back and forward and starting serious research!! We plan to start in Sydney in Feb 06. Like to see city sights as well as countryside....real Sunday drivers, stop here and there. The dilemma....there will be 3 of us for the first 3 weeks (invited mom!)....we'd like to cover Sydney to Adelaide, plus Tasmania during this time....so something like....5 nights - Sydney, 2 nights - Canberra, 7 nights - Melbourne, 3 nights - Tasmania, 3 nights Adelaide, give or take the time between locations. Would this allow for sidetrips to Hunter and Barossa areas....GOR...and others? Does this seem like sufficient time or rushing? Trying to decide between car or train travel...don't think we need to fly but all options open. Can we book lodging as we go along? Open to input.....TIA

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
South Australia, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st of many questions!

Well lets start with the date. Feb is summer here and you might hit some very warm weather on your travels. It is also the end of the holiday period, so should be reasonable booking wise on weekdays but could be busy on weekends. Melb has the Commonwealth Games on next year in March and will be just starting to get very busy in Feb. You do look like you have done some research because I like your time frames.

Sydney sounds good for your 5 days, maybe spend the last day down around Jervis Bay. Canberra is good for the two days. You can drive straight to Melb on the Humy Hwy in about 7 hours but I would suggest going the longer way around the coast and stopping over at Merimbula/Pambula for a night or two or a night there and one at Lakes Entrance. From Lakes it is about 3 or 4 hours into Melbourne. You can go via Phillip Island if you are planning to see the penguins whilst here.

You can do the Great Ocean Road in one day but it is very rushed, I would drive straight up to Warnambool inland or on the GOR and then return the opposite way. The 12 Apostles are close to Warnambool. Stay overnight in W and enjoy the drive. You will love stopping along the GOR, Torquay, Anglesea, Lorne, Wye River, Apollo Bay etc. Might be best to do this drive on a weekday, will be much busier on the weekend.

You can go to Tassie by flying, under an hour to Hobart or Launceston. Or you can take a car on the boat and ferry over. It is a great ride but more expensive than flying and also it is a beautiful stretch of water in Bass Strait but it can get very rough in the wrong conditions. See Port Arthur, Devenport and some of the great little wineries dotted around the island.

Mentioned in this post
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,097 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Jervis Bay
Jervis Bay
Shoalhaven, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Merimbula
Merimbula
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Torquay
Torquay
Victoria, Australia
Anglesea
Anglesea
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st of many questions!

Thanks Will...was aware of the Games in your city!! Will have to work around them....would you suggest then flying from there to Hobart and back and picking up the rest of the drive to Adelaide?? We should likely have lodgings in mind for Melbourne...any recs for 2 bedroom suites?? What part of the city do you suggest??

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st of many questions!

I think flying into Hobart from Melb is the best bet. Flights are pretty cheap over here. Pick up a car in Hobart and drive up one of the coasts ending up in Devenport or Launceston and fly back from there. Devenport is a smaller city and although we flew with Qantas we flew on a smaller prop plane, I enjoyed that. Take your time on the drive from Melb to Adelaide, plenty of nice places to stop at.

As far as Melb goes most places are good to stay in. It really is an easy place to get around. Trams everywhere and easily walked around. It is basically a square, on the west end you have Docklands, on the south side the area around Crown and Southgate, the north has Carlton and the east has East Melbourne. You probably won't need to drive whilst in Melb, depending on what places you want to visit. Let me know some of the places you fancy and I can tell you what the area is like, use TripAdvisor reviews to check out what the accom places are like. I used TA reviews for all my accom in Paris, Venice and Verona and wasn't disappointed once.

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st of many questions!

You could fly JetStar from Hobart to Adelaide quite cheaply. Alternatively, the drive along the coast road from Melbourne to Adelaide is very scenic, but would take 2 days.

Three days would be OK for Adelaide. We have a great food market, Central Market, Grote Street. There are many good cafes around this area. Most overseas visitors love it. Barossa is good, but the Clare Valley is beautiful as well.

Along with other wine areas south of the city, McLaren Vale area. You could check out our beautiful beaches on this day trip. Great time for the beach. My favourite beach in this vicinity is Port Willunga. Bit further on, Carackalinga.

If you have a few spare days, drive to the Flinders Ranges, maybe to Wilpena Pound and see some of the amazing Outback. Only drawback, it is a 6 hour drive from Adelaide but worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Dandenong Ranges
Dandenong Ranges
1,048 Reviews
Dandenong, Australia
Adelaide Central Market
Adelaide Central Market
2,919 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Wilpena Pound
Wilpena Pound
396 Reviews