We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip and Pin???

Manchester
Level Contributor
78 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Chip and Pin???

Hi,

I was wondering if it is now chip and pin over in Australia? We have to have a pin number for all purchase over in the UK but I hardly use my credit card, but will be taking it with me on my holiday. I dont use it that often so dont know the pin number so was wondering if I was going to be stuck paying for meals and hotels while I am out there... Any ideas?

Thanks, Helen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip and Pin???

I assume you can sign as well?

A lot of credit cards in Australia now have a pin as well now & either method can be used if the merchants system is a new one ( with a lot of smaller stores you can't yet use the pin, so that may mean restaurants as well)...

The system is not the same as the one in the UK...last year in London/Europe I was unable to use my pin there, always had to sign, but it may also vary from bank to bank.

Not sure if I've been any help or not!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip and Pin???

At the moment, most credit purchases can be made by either signing or pin number. I was informed last week by my bank, that by the end of this year, signing will no longer be an option. All credit purchases will be by pin only.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip and Pin???

Hi Helen

I've been able to do both with my chip and pin card in Australia. If you tell the operator you have a PIN, you can enter it in, otherwise you can sign for it.

4. Re: Chip and Pin???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 07:23