We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me start my packing list...

sam7272
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Please help me start my packing list...

We are traveling to Australia from the states for the 1st time in early June.

Rough itinerary:

June 8th--time in Sydney until late afternoon flight to Brisbane

Spending June 8th night through Saturday afternoon in/around Brisbane & Gold Coast (Australia Zoo, Mt. Coot-tha, Tamborine National Forest, Gold Coast beaches, etc.)

Flying to Cairns on Saturday June 13th--will be there through the 17th--staying in Palm Cove, going to Kuranda, Daintree, Great Barrier Reef w/ Wavelength, etc.

Then 18th & 19th back in Sydney before flight home to US.

So, as you can see we will be in very different climate areas...due to baggage requirements for Virgin Airlines, we will be limited to one fairly large suitcase a piece. Would like your recommendations on what type of different clothes to bring, while only having one bag (and wanting some room for souvenirs, of course :) ). Jeans? Capris? Shorts? Sweatshirts? Light-weight jackets?? Help!!

The trip is still a little while off, but I like to plan ahead ;)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

are you flying VAustralia? you have an allowance of 2 checked in bags each passenger (32kg total for economy, 32kg each piece for anything higher)

in saying that, you are only coming for 11 days, you wont need it! yes you're right, totally different climates in this time, as all good travel advice re cloths...pack layers!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

Hi sam7272,

For Cairns and tropical Queensland you should only need some shorts and t-shirts for the day and shirts and jeans for the night. And don't forget some swimwears:)

For Brisbane and Gold Coast a light jacket may be a good idea, especially after the sunset.

For Sydney I would bring a warmer jacket, as the temperatures could go below 10 degrees at night.

Have a nice holiday!

----------------------------

www.goldcoastadvice.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

Hi Sam

I agree with the other posters - keep it light and keep it casual unless you want a few up-market restaurants, we're pretty laid back about what you wear. You can buy sunscreen here and if you're staying in hotels, then use their hair care products as well as their hairdryers. You might be interested in this recent thread on this forum - a few lighthearted moments, some great tips and a couple of links. Don;t pack too much - leave some room for souvenirs !!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

yes, think layers for your clothing needs.

for example, we recently did some traveling for 3 weeks to a hot/humid climate and then to a cool climate and survived with some short sleeved tops/t-shirts for the warmer climates(5), long-sleeved tops(2), shorts/capris(2)/jeans(1)/dressy trousers(1), thicker jacket(1). sydney morning and days would be cool-cold so you could wear your t-shirts under your long sleeved tops if needed and then peel layers off if the day warms up. also managed with one pair of sandals and one pair of good walking shoes.

it all depends on you and your dressing style...

noticed that many people made the mistake of packing their clothes in a small bag when they leave home and forget that they'll need extra space for their shopping/souvenirs. we tend to go with a larger bag and our belongings moving around this bag on the outward trip as we know we'll be laden down when we make our return journey.

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

ditto to JuneTL with the addition of a jacket/coat/wind breaker. If there is a wind blowing from the south it can be quite cold so make sure you pack an outer layer - jacket - which will serve you well. Having said that, you wont need artic thermals but whack in a jacket which will serve you well for the day & night. Bring it as hand luggage if need be & cram it into the overhead locker or use it as a blanket in-flight.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

ditto on mstrail. for flights wear your heaviest clothes and shoes.

Have a small backpack(keeps your hands free for other stuff)as carry on luggage, into which to cram o/n attire, thongs, toothbrush and emergency attire .

This is in case your other luggage is mislayed and you are left with nothing for the moment. Also handy for the end of the day you know exactly where your night things are without having to open your large luggage.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

I'm an expert at packing light at this stage. I haven't checked a bag for a few years!

- try to plan your outfits in advance, making sure that your individual pieces match each other. e.g., I wouldn't bring a pair of fashionable trousers if they don't go with anything else in your luggage.

- leave the sweatshirts at home and opt for a tank or t-shirt, with a light zip-up cardigan and heavier jacket. You should be okay with just a t-shirt and cardigan in Cairns and Brisbane depending on the weather, and the extra heavier jacket in Sydney.

- jeans are perfect for all 3 locations. You can wear them to restaurants (we're laid back here) and out on your day trips. Make sure they're comfortable ones though!

- shorts or capris will be great in Cairns as the weather doesn't usually get that cold. They will do you well for your reef trip as well where you don't really want to be wearing jeans out there. Take your cardigan with you if it gets breezy.

- take 2 pairs (and only 2 pairs!) or shoes. 1 pair of sneakers to wear on the plane and to do you for day trips around the bush anywhere you need covered shoes. and 1 that are more causual like ballet flats for women or loafers or sandals for men. Unless you're planning on attending a red carpet event while here, you'll find that's enough.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip. :)

sam7272
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

gk, thank you for such detail!

All of your ideas are great! I've started my list and your ideas are most helpful! Thanks a bunch!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

And don't forget, a pashmina "doubles" as a lightweight blanket or a wrap on a plane, a head covering if in a church/religous place, or just jazzes up an outfit. If you want to dress up an outfit, a silk scarf (or a pashmina), or a belt or some jewellry can do wonders - but I wouldn't recommend taking your really expensive jewels away with you - cheap and chearful will do the trick so if you lose something, you don't lose anything that can't easily be replaced.

10. Re: Please help me start my packing list...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 06:26