We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan should I buy or rent

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
81 reviews
Campervan should I buy or rent

Im starting to plan a 4/5 month tour of Oz and plan to tour in a campervan. There are loads of websites for hiring vehicles but for a 4 month hire they are all pretty expensive. i was considering the option of buying a campervan on arrival and selling it on at the end.

anyone got any experience or ideas

Mooloolaba...
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

All sounds good in theory but what happens when you breakdown? What if it needs a new engine. Have you factored in the costs of Registration and insurance.

Your campervan hire will be expensive but how much will the difference be if you factor in theses costs.

Oscar

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,768 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

We have friends who bought and resold a campervan through Travellers Auto Barn. They found it very cost-effective.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
167 reviews
3. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

I think the answer depends on where you are heading. Out bush??? Probably not - you need more than one spare of everything and some bush mechanic skills-but then again, I' not sure if too many hire companies would want you to take their vehicles out bush either.

I can understand the cost effectiveness, but then you have to get rid of it when you are finished and that may take a few weeks. You might be able to off-load it at one of those centres where lots of travellers meet up - here's one in the Dymocks Building, George St, Sydney - can't recall the floor.

What about bussing it to where you want to go? I thought that some bus companies sold passes which you could look into a bit more if you wanted to.

Sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
4. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

check out www.backpacker.com for really affordable good working reliable campervans. we are travelling around Australia in a campervan at moment and the number of people we see broken down in their cheap campervans with no back up support is awful. Backpacker are really popular on the roads and they have offices everywhere in major tourist spots

Adelaide
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

redchad

Go into the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia Website www.cmca.net.au and go into Members Market for info on all types of motorhome and campervans for sale. It will give you an indication of how much you would have to outlay.

John

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

Both great websites thanks!

I think ive got an idea now about what to expect for what im prepared to pay.

i expect to spend lose about £3k on any purchase so may look at some of the buy back deals.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

Check out gumtree - some real bargains to be had. Many backpackers are keen to sell and move on, etc. You can buy a decent van for £1500. In fact, if it breaks down you could buy another one for the same price and it would still be cheaper than renting! Obviously if you plan to go bush you probably need to pay more, but if you get a mechanical check then all should be good.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
167 reviews
8. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

Red

most people who drive in the bush take extra spares, eg fanbelts, two spare tyres, etc and some strong cable and winch to pull them out of sand or a creek bed, plus extra fuel and water. Stock up on these items, tell someone in Australia, where you're going and you should be OK. Eg tell the police of your plans if you don't have any family or friends that you will be in very regular contact with,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

Thanks guys but dont think i will be off roading well not on our own anyway, may go on an organised tour off road but on the whole will be staying on tarmac

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
167 reviews
10. Re: Campervan should I buy or rent

Red

my advice still holds whether or not you are on tarmac or a dirt road. If could be miles away from a town, which you would have to be at some point during a 4-5 month trip around Australia, eg, Adelaide to Alice Springs, technically the "outback", but never-the-less, the "bush" IMO.