We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Ardglass
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

I am just starting to research a holiday in Aus, NZ, maybe Tasmania and anywhere else you would suggest while in the area.

I am an active 60yrs and hubby 65yrs - we travel a lot around Europe and have been on a few hols to Canada and USA.

I will have just retired so will want to relax some of the time but love active holidays.

I have a great intrest in photography so will really want lots of scenic places.

We both love beaches and I love swimming - quite keen to try Great Barrier Reef!!!!

My husband is a farmer so will have an interest in that end as well.

We are not so keen on cities - a few days in a city is ok (or longer if necessary)

We both drive and are happy enough to drive while on holiday but would like some organised tours also.

Flying is no bother - I realise Aus. is vast so we will need to fly some of the time

Any advice is welcome regarding any of the above for example weather in different places etc for that time of year

Will post on NZ forum also

I know this is a very wide topic but need something to start on - thanks for any help

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

October is a great time to come to Australia and New Zealand.

New Zealand is highly recommended. It probably is more spectacular, and everything is in very compact area. The South Island is more spectacular than the North island. The NZ dollar will be exceptionally appealing to you. If you can include New Zealand on your way to or back from Australia, do so.

My recommended places to visit in Australia include Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef/Cairns area, Kakadu and Lichfield (out of Darwin), the Red Centre (Alice Springs and Uluru - please drive or catch a bus between the two, rather than fly), the Flinders Ranges north of Adelaide, and Tasmania. Any of these places will provide endless opportunities for photography. You'll be able to take day tours in any of these areas.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

first off tasmania is part of australia :-).

other than aus and nz there is not much left to see in the rgion apart from the pacific islands, new guinea and southern asia.

6 -8 weeks for both nz ans aus will be a good amount of time but u still wont be able to see everything.

so suggest u need to do some research as to where your main points of interest will be ie.. on the net or a good guide book like dk's "australia".

the warmer months are roughly nov-mar with it getting hotter (and wetter) as u move north and inland. this is not a good time to visit the outback and the gbr. so it's better to plan to be in parts of the country at a time when u can avoid the climatic extremes. holiday periods are another problem when accommodation gets scarce and roads and places are crowded. this main holiday period is dec/jan.

a combo of driving and flying is the best bet. tours? up to you but with the help of people here u can probably get around on your own.

and then when u get a prelim itinerary together get back to ta and ask specific questions.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

You may be interested in visiting some Agricultural shows in both Australia and NZ.

NZ has a t least one4 very large one in the North Island.

Australia has Royal Ag Shows in each state.

Melbourne's is in September and Sydney has a big Easter Show.

www.vicag.com.au (I think) which also gives dates for rural shows for 2009 . The shows for 2010 would be around about the same time.

Google - Agricultural Shows, Australia ; and

Farmers Tours, Australia. which gives tours in NZ as well.

Field Days could also be of some interest to you.

October should be a great month to relax on the Great Barrier Reef to start your holiday off.

Spend at least two days travelling to Uluru and stay o/n at one of the working stations. - Tours seem to stop for the night at Ebenezer. This trip to the centre should be done early in October as things will be hotting up inland.

Perth and south of Perth will have wild flowers, as will southern South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.

The weather pattern along the southern states moves from Perth through to NZ. It generally takes 3-5 days to move across. .

October in Victoria is Spring - warm-cold-wet-sunny. the whole gammit. spring Racing carnivals and lots of things on - Fetes, Fairs, Open Gardens. 1st Tuesday in November is a holiday in Melbourne to outer suburbs for the Melbourne Cup.

Rural areas usually take a day off for their own races.

Tasmania is cooler than Victoria.

The North Island of NZ has much the same temperature as Melbourne. The South Island is cooler.

Other islands around Australia that people visit , other than those on the Great Barrier Reef, are Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island.

Rottness Island , you could say is part of Fremantle/Perth

Tiwi Islands north of Darwin.

Suggest- Fly into Perth 1 week

Fly Uluru/Alice Springs 4 days

Fly cairns

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

You may be interested in visiting some Agricultural shows in both Australia and NZ.

NZ has a t least one4 very large one in the North Island.

Australia has Royal Ag Shows in each state.

Melbourne's is in September and Sydney has a big Easter Show.

www.vicag.com.au (I think) which also gives dates for rural shows for 2009 . The shows for 2010 would be around about the same time.

Google - Agricultural Shows, Australia ; and

Farmers Tours, Australia. which gives tours in NZ as well.

Field Days could also be of some interest to you.

October should be a great month to relax on the Great Barrier Reef to start your holiday off.

Spend at least two days travelling to Uluru and stay o/n at one of the working stations. - Tours seem to stop for the night at Ebenezer. This trip to the centre should be done early in October as things will be hotting up inland.

Perth and south of Perth will have wild flowers, as will southern South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.

The weather pattern along the southern states moves from Perth through to NZ. It generally takes 3-5 days to move across. .

October in Victoria is Spring - warm-cold-wet-sunny. the whole gammit. spring Racing carnivals and lots of things on - Fetes, Fairs, Open Gardens. 1st Tuesday in November is a holiday in Melbourne to outer suburbs for the Melbourne Cup.

Rural areas usually take a day off for their own races.

Tasmania is cooler than Victoria.

The North Island of NZ has much the same temperature as Melbourne. The South Island is cooler.

Other islands around Australia that people visit , other than those on the Great Barrier Reef, are Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island.

Rottness Island , you could say is part of Fremantle/Perth

Tiwi Islands north of Darwin.

Suggest- Fly into Perth 1 week

Fly Uluru/Alice Springs 4 days

Fly Cairns 7 days

Drive inland route to Townsville 2-3 days

Fly Sydney 4 days

Drive coastal route to Canberra 3 days

Coatal or Mountain route to Melbourne 3 days.

Melbourne 3 days

Drive GOR to Adelaide 4 days

Flinders Ranges 4 days

Kangaroo Island 3 days

Fly from Adelaide to Tasmania

Tasmania drive - 14 days.

Fly NZ. drive 3 weeks.

Just an idea.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

www.regionalinfrastructure.com.au is the newest(in australia) agricultural stock /sales yards business. and a good place to meet other farmers for a chin wag, as are most stock markets/Sales Yards which are still held regionally. Very often on thursdays and fridays.

Also Field Days - google for them.

You may like to stay at a WOOFA farm for a couple of days.

Emerald, in Queensland has a cotton farm you can visit, a historic Railway Station, mosaics in a park, and gem mining close by there, and at Ruby and Saphire. You might find one big enough to pay for your trip!

Carnarvon National Park is south of there. Interesting. But accom is a bit expensive - a bit like Uluru - no competition.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Gardenboffin gave you great info and options. Hope it was helpful.

Weatherwise it's best to start Cairns, make your way through Australia and last weeks in NZ prob in november. 6-8 weeks (6 or 8??) sounds long but to explore NI and SI you'll need 2 weeks each and 4 weeks for Australia is very short.

Tet

Ardglass
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Thankyou all for the information sofar - would I be better to wait until Nov to begin my travels?

I am still working and also redecorating our house so dont have a lot of time to plan this but all your information is really getting me excited so am really making an effort to get started on this holiday project.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Maybe try to avoid schoolholidays and go north (Cairns) to South (South Island) No schoolholdays between october 19 and decèmber 15. I would plan accordingly.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Hi Killard,

You have already received some EXCELLENT info from other posters!!

I reecntly discovered a fantastic website that you may find valuable to take a look at! www. australiantraveller.com There's heaps of ideas on there and its written about aussie travelling, by Aussies.

Personally, I think OCTOBER is the best time of year for visting Far North Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas), so I would aim for October arrival.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, for fun.

Fly into Sydney. 5 nights (also explore Blue Mountains area)

Cairns/Port Douglas (visit the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest- some really nice day trips) 4-5 days

Fly to Darwin. Kakadu National Park. 3-4 nights

Fly Uluru/red centre for 3 nights

Fly Canberra. Explore the Nations capital. Pick a hire car and drive south to Melbourne, lots of cute towns to visit in country Victoria. Drive the Great Ocean Road. may take 7-10 days

Tasmania- 5-7 days.

Fly to Melbourne, then to NZ.

That's about 4 weeks. I also suggest take a look at an atlas or grab a Australian guide book. Lots of farm stay opportunities especially in country areas. (just google it).

Good luck.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in Aus and N Zealand in Oct - 6 to 8 wks or more

Come to south australia... The Flinders Ranges, Kangaroo Island and fabulous wine and food. The best thing is that so much is achievable within a day's drive of the main city, Adelaide. Swim with Dolphins, sea lions, tuna and even great white sharks if you are really adventurous.. there are tours to do all of it. Kangaroo Island is renowned for its stunning scenery and wildlife and the Flinders Ranges are majestic and a very accessible part of the outback. We also have the famous wine and food regions of Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale.

South Australia is a laid back and relaxing place, no traffic and no hassle!

October is the perfect time of year to visit us.. remember that if you leave it until november and wish to head up to the GBR it's getting close to wet season. with a four week itinerary I'd fly into Sydney spend a few days then eeither fly to brisbane then drive up to Cairns or drive to brisbane and fly to cairns (up to you depending on what you research) from there I'd fly down to Adelaide hire a car for a week and see Eyre Peninsula/and/or Kangaroo Island and/or Flinders Ranges then drive the Great ocean road to Melbourne, Ferry down or fly to Hobart then back to Melbourne and fly home from there.

For info and images of South Australia look at www.southaustralia.com for Kangaroo Island info

www.tourkangarooisland.com.au

we'd love to welcome you here in South Australia, Look at Tet's road trip re south australia in these posts for a great insight into how you can really have a great road trip here