We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Hello,

My wife and I are planning on visiting Australia/New Zealand in May/June 2010. We plan on going for 15 days. Our preliminary plans are:

Chicago to Auckland (5 days)

Auckland to Sydney (5 days)

Sydney to Melbourne (5 days)

Before we settle on this plan we wanted to see what you all thought about this being ample time for each stop. After we get some advice we will then start to fill in the gaps as to activities in all of these places. I know we want to make it to the Great Barrier Reef at some point. I know it's not close to any of the areas we are going to but we will figure that out later. We are totally new to Australia and know NOTHING!!

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

What are you interested in? (Culture, Wildlife, Adventure etc.,).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

The wife and I both love wildlife and adventure. I'm into museums and history. We love the nightlife as well as going to the beach. We are both wine fanatics as well.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Hi Teamram,

I just visited Chicago a few months ago...I love the city..!

For additional informtion on Auckland - click on the thread below. If you are into wine then I suggest you hop onto the ferry over to Waiheke Island. See info below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17750-Four_day…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g285729-r324…

Your itinerary looks okay..for Melbourne I would try and see a little of the Great Ocean Road/ ie..Melbourne to Port Campbell. Do a tour or self drive.

For Sydney : Click on these threads to read.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c1416/Sydney:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c1015/Sydney:…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19691-Sydney_s…

The usual tourist itinerary in Sydney -

The Rocks / Circular Quay / Harbour Bridge Climb / Opera House / Botancial Gardens / Daring Harbour / Chinatown / Ferry ride to Manly Beach / Bondi Beach.

May/June - autumn- start of winter in Australia. Nth Qld has lovely weather in June.

I would also buy the Lonely Planet Book on Australia...

Have fun planning,

EM ☺

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Excellent, thank you for all of this info!! I will definitely take a look and let you all know if I have any questions. I'm glad you liked Chicago, been here all my life.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Hmmm.... 10 days is not a lot of time to see much of Australia but it is possible to see a lot of diversity regardless.

May/June is a fantastic time to see North Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef so I think you'd be mad not to give it a go. Perhaps shave a day or two off both Sydney and Melbourne and fly up to Cairns. Domestic airfares are quite cheap in Australia ( given the distances)and there are regular sales and specials.

Perhaps try :

Sydney - 3 days

Melbourne - 4 days ( you can spend the extra day in the beautiful Yarra Valley, home to some of the countries best wineries and only an hour from Melbourne)

Cairns/Port Douglas - 3 days

You may be able to fly home from Cairns or even Brisbane or just accept that you will have a long day by travelling back to Sydney to connect.

( * suggestion - there are some very cheap fares available through Jetstar from Cairns to Tokyo .Perhaps thats a possible great stop over point and an alternate route to get home ?

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Hi. To see the Great Barrier Reef you would have to add Cairns or the Whitsundays to Sydney-Melbourne and I don't think 5 days would let you do justice to even Sydney-Melbourne, much less three destinations, and bear in mind Melbourne and Cairns are about 1,700 miles apart.

5 days certainly isn't enough for New Zealand and I don't see all that much point in stopping there just to see Auckland, nice though it is it isn't what a New Zealand holiday is truly about. Also the fact that you haven't posted in the New Zealand forum indicates to me that you might be looking at it as a nice little side trip which is a serious underestimation. I spent a month in New Zealand and IMO if you really wanted to see the best of it you wouldn't want to leave out Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Rotorua, Otago Peninsula, Bay of Islands, which pretty much covers the length of both islands.

Another thing to consider is it will be winter, a good time to visit the tropical Great Barrier Reef but not so good for Australia's southern states and New Zealand (not so bad either though, you won't see snow plows clearing the streets or anything like that, so perhaps our relatively mild winter wouldn't be a factor for you). I'm seeing two separate trips here at different times of the year, but if that isn't an option then you'll have to do some prioritising and compromising.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Looking again, perhaps I misunderstood how you've written your timings?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

Hello,

You have certainly a great deal to see in both Australia and New Zealand in a limited time! The Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Queensland is certainly worth a visit. The marine life is wonderful.

As for getting to know more about both Australia and New Zealand and for ideas about where to go and what to see, you will find these two travel books invaluable:- The first is entitled "Crosstralia",based on itineraries in Australia, the other is called "Around New Zealand by Bus", which is also useful in planning your itinerary in New Zealand, whether you intend to travel by bus or not.

Happy travels.

9. Re: Wife and I going to Australia next year, a couple questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 05:18