We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my provisional itinerary during January

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
my provisional itinerary during January

This is my (very) provisional itinerary:

in December, I will stay 5 days in Melbourne and then move to Sydney for 5 days (for New Year's Eve).Then I will travel through Australia for 4 weeks and finally I am obliged to go back to Melbourne.

I’m 25 years old and I will do a solo backpacking trip, purchasing a Greyhound pass ticket.

I will not visit North Queensland (to don’t risk for weather and stinger) and probably I will visit Red Centre, for its importance, despite heat.

In these 4 weeks from Sydney

- Byron Bay and hinterland for 3 days

- Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise for 4/5 days, including Lamington National Park for 1 or 2 days

- Brisbane: 1 day for city and a 1-days cruise in N. Stradbroke I. or Moreton I.

- perhaps a visit to Australian Zoo in Sunshine Coast (1 day)

- from Hervey Bay cruise for 3days/2 nights to Fraser Island

- 1-day cruise in an island of southern GBR (probably Lady Musgrave island from 1770, alternatively L.Elliott or Heron)

Then I return to Brisbane by bus and catch flight to Adelaide.

- Next Day, from Adelaide to Alice Springs by flight (I arrive in afternoon), then next day a 3-days tour in Red Centre (and return to Alice Springs).

- From Alice to Adelaide by bus, stopping to Coober Pedy sleeping here (total time: 2days/1night)

- Another 1 day in Adelaide

- Then from Adelaide to kangaroo island (2days/1 nights)

- Then I have to come back to Melbourne by bus: during this travel, I visit Grampians and Great Ocean Road (if I take a tour, it will be necessary 3days, if I organize myself the itinerary, I’ll do it in 4 days)

Perhaps I have 2 not used days, but I don’t know yet if I need them for travels.

What do you think about it? Is there any place to remove or to add?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
Lamington National Park
Lamington National Park
143 Reviews
Binna Burra, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Lady Musgrave Island
Lady Musgrave Island
146 Reviews
Lady Musgrave Island, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Coober Pedy
Coober Pedy
South Australia, Australia
Grampians
Grampians
Victoria, Australia
Great Ocean Road
Great Ocean Road
1,303 Reviews
Aireys Inlet, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: my provisional itinerary during January

From questions on your other threads nareve, you have been putting your thoughts together and looks to be a reasonable mix of activities.

And just a couple of further thought for you that may make it a better trip.

. If your Hervey Bay cruise to Fraser Island is actually doing a tour of the island [ the cruise part could be taking the vehicular ferry across] and the tour is a camping style tour arranged through backpackers, then be aware that not only is it going to be roughing it a bit but you'll be sharing a 4WD vehicle and unknown quality of probably young drivers, and it'll be very warm camping.

If you opted for a guided tour, shorter but more comfort and safer, that would free up more time for your Great Barrier Reef Island.

You really need to allow a whole day to get from Hervey Bay to either Bundaberg for 1770 [Bus does pick up early morning and drops back after the cruise]or Agnes Water for Lady Musgrave or Gladstone for Heron Island which is very expensive you may have seen.

If you do Lady Musgrave, I'd suggest that rather than the 500 km. bus back to Brisbane, an alternate for you could be to take the bus to Rockhampton from where you might want to have a couple of days on http://www.greatkeppel.com.au/ where on the southerly facing beach [one of the best you'll find] thre'll be little likelihood of stingers and then www.tigerairways.com.au have cheap flights Rockhampton to Melbourne and cheap flights also to Adelaide.

Another option you could use to save some bus travel, time and money may be if you do want to go to Lady Elliot Island is to look at the LEI/Fraser Island packages, great value there with flights and some meals included, a far better/safer way for you to do Fraser Island.

And it could make your other travelling a bit easier for you if you are thinking of a bus Sydney to Byron Bay.

Instead of doing Byron Bay & GC first, you could fly from Sydney to Hervey Bay, do LEI/Fraser, perhaps have an extra day on the sunshine coast and Australia Zoo does pick-ups from various SSC locations, Noosa or Mooloolaba, and after the Zoo, get dropped at the bearby Beerwah Railway Station [the Zoo has a shuttle bus] and then catch train to Brisbane and Moreton Island is the better/easier trip and then it's a train/bus or greyhound bus to the GC or their special rates to Byron Bay first and then come back to the Gold Coast.

Tiger also has cheap flights from the Gold Coast to Melbourne, maybe even Adelaide now too.

I think if you cost that out as an alternative, it could work out better for you time wise too.

And a pity you could not fit in Uluru earlier on arrival when it would have been a little cooler but with Melbourne and NYE for Sydney, you cannot do everything, and there will hopefully not be a huge difference between temperatures of pre Xmas and January.

Should be fun despite warmer weather - just have light loose clothing, a good sunhat and use plenty of sun cream, the feet too if wearing sandals/thongs as well as ears, places that can also get burnt very easily.

Mentioned in this post
Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Bundaberg
Bundaberg
Queensland, Australia
Agnes Water
Agnes Water
Queensland, Australia
Gladstone
Gladstone
Queensland, Australia
Heron Island Resort
Heron Island Resort
1,798 Reviews
Heron Island, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Rockhampton
Rockhampton
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort
Lady Elliot Island Eco...
1,128 Reviews
Lady Elliot Island, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Fraser Suites Sydney
Fraser Suites Sydney
1,197 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,093 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Moreton Island
Moreton Island
323 Reviews
Moreton Island, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,639 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
2. Re: my provisional itinerary during January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 06:20