We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this be done??

Cali!!!
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Can this be done??

Hello all,

I am already doing research on a trip to Australia in Nov or Dec next year with my soon to be husband.(yes I plan early)

We will have 12-14 days. I notice most people do the Outback/Reef/Sydney.

We would like to do Kangaroo Island, Sydney, and Port Douglas

3 nights KI

2 nights Daintree

4 nights Port Douglas or Palm Cove

4 nights in Sydney

A few questions:

Should we stay in Port Douglas or choose an island stay?

Are we making a mistake by not seeing Uluru even though it will be hot as Hades?

Does the order make sense or should we start in Sydney? (We would be coming from LA)

Any other suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thank you so much in advance!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can this be done??

i would start in sydney seeing most flights arrive there from lax. then i guess u would fly to adelaide for KI. it would be a pity imo to miss out on uluru seeing u r so close to it in adelaide. and yes it will be hot. but not much hotter than arizona in the summer. of course u can always do wilpena pound as your outback experience. u can fly to cairns from uluru or adelaide to the gbr. take a few days off pd/daintree and add it to the centre. i think pd would be a best base.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can this be done??

I agree with 'lien's' order suggestion, start in Sydney, then Adelaide etc and if you don't know if you're coming back to Oz then don't miss out on Uluru if you travelling around that much and cost of flights isn't a concern. Yes, it will be hot, but you don't think about those things when you get back from a holiday, only the great experiences! Uluru is a unique and very australian experience!

That's sounds like an awesome holiday, have a great time and make sure you do some relaxing on the beach before you leave as it sounds like you'll need it!

Cali!!!
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can this be done??

Thank you Lien and Tintinin,

I was thinking leaving out Uluru would be a mistake.

So would this work

2 nights Sydney

3 nights KI

2 nights Uluru

4 nights Port Douglas

3 nights in Sydney before flight home

The Sydney issue is throwing me off because we arrive and depart in Sydney. Thought it would make more sense at the end. Yet I know it would be a long day to travel to KI but we would be taking a red eye and arriving in the early am to Sydney. Still think we should put it in the beginning?

Edited: 29 December 2009, 00:28
Cali!!!
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can this be done??

If I put Sydney at the end I think this would work

3 nights KI

3 nights Uluru

4 nights Port Douglas

4 Nights Sydney

What do you think?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,971 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can this be done??

Possible intinerary, though will only allow one day tour each to the Daintree Forest and The Great Barrier Reef. There is a lot of travelling, so maybe you can isolate what you want to experience.

Sydney 3 nights

www.visitnsw.com

Sydney - Adelaide - Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island 3 nights

www.tourkangarooisland.com.au

Kangaroo Island - Adelaide - Uluru via Alice Springs

Uluru 2 nights

Uluru - Cairns

Port Douglas 3 nights

www.tourismportdouglas.com.au

www.daintreecoast.com

Cairns - Sydney

Sydney 1 night

www.sydney-australia.biz/

Mainland domestic flights www.qantas.com.au

Kangaroo Island flights www.rex.com.au

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can this be done??

personally i would not break up the sydney stay. it's a long 14 hours plus airports time to syd from lax. then to get to KI from sydney is just too much (and dangerous if u r driving at all) imo. better to take the first day off in sydney and recover as best u can from jetlag and then enjoy the next 3 days there before heading to ki. then come back to sydney from cairns late evening of the day before your flight home.

Edited: 29 December 2009, 00:36
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can this be done??

I agree with the others. Start in Sydney, then head to Adelaide for Kangaroo Island, then fly from Adelaide to Cairns for Port Douglas/Palm Cove/Daintree.

If you're wanting an island stay instead of PD then your options are Lizard Island (very expensive and luxurious), Green Island (doesn't get great reviews) or Fitzroy Island (not sure about this one as the new resort ran into financial trouble). You may need to consider the Whitsundays if you definitely want an island stay.

Personally, I love that region. By staying on the mainland you'll get to experience far more. There's the reef (outer reef and low isles tours), the rainforest and the Atherton Tablelands. You will very quickly fill up your six nights in the region.

November will be hot and humid in the tropical north. Also be aware that it is stinger season so you can only swim in the netted areas or your resort pool.

Here's my list for the Cairns region: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Cali!!!
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can this be done??

Thanks Nurioopta, Lien and templc74,

Nurioopta- Your itinerary works well and I have an additional two days I can add on to the Port Douglas area.

Lien- Good looking out. Yep it is too ambitious. (Hey, I am enthusiastic.LOL!) Staying in Sydney the first few days makes more sense.

Templc74- The more I read about this area, the more things I want to do so I am thinking the island stay is out and Port Douglas or Palm Cove are in. Thanks for the link!

9. Re: Can this be done??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 06:18