We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast - Train vs Bus

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
East coast - Train vs Bus

After about 5 days in Pt Douglas/Cairns area...we have about 17 days to make our way down to Sydney. There are just soooo many places of interest...we like to explore small coastal towns....but also want to visit some islands along the way. Question is which is better - train or bus - for "hopping on and off" down the east coast late March, early April 06??? Thankyou yet again!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast - Train vs Bus

I haven't travelled on the bus down the coast but have on the Sunlander i think it was from Cairns to Nambour on the Sunshine Coast.It took 28 hours and i think i had about an hours sleep,should have booked a sleeper.Travellers were hopping on and off all the way down.I really enjoy train travel as it gives you more room to move and go and have a few drinks at the bar etc.

Check out www.qr.com.au for more of a insight on timetables etc.

For the bus,Greyhound is one of the main players as i think they took over Mccaffertys.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast - Train vs Bus

Thanks John....Agree that the train is a decent way to travel as well...we haven't done it for any great distance, but figure with lots of "stop offs" we should enjoy it. Have followed your other posts re bareboating with interest as we'd love to cruise a few islands....but frankly I don't know if I have time to investigate that amongst all the other plans for our trip to OZ and NZ!! We did a lovely trip in the Blue Waters along the southern Turkish coast.