We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study in Brisbane or sydney

spain
3 posts
Save Topic
Study in Brisbane or sydney

Whe are 3 spanish girls who want to go to Australia to study an english course. We have to decide it from spain because to ask the student visa we have to buy the course from here, and we dont know what place is better, brisbane or sydney? in terms of cost of living, weather, job opportunities,... thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

brisbane is much mush cheaper than sydney.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

Georgia is right,Brisbane is much better value especially being a student.On weekends you can jump on a bus to Byron or Noosa for a break.

Also,Bond University on the Gold Coast is very good and has young people from all over the world studying there.

www.bond.edu.au

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

I would enroll in an English course on the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast which are near Brisbane and much better places to live than Brisbane (and Sydney for that matter).

Weather is great-see www.bom.gov.au for all Oz weather.

Get some hospitality industry experience and you should have no trouble getting a job eg. room attendant, kitchen hand, dish pig or waitressing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

I'll agree with Lockie.. whilst Sydney is dear to my heart and job opportunities are good.. the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast would be better..

It is much cheaper to live in Queensland and the weather is more consistent. The hospitality industry would be high on the list as it will give you lots of chance to use your English in everyday situations..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

depending what you like most of all.Both cities offer excellent opportunties butin different ways.I guess its about lifestyle too..here are the diffences.

Brisbane:Lovely city perched over a river,a very lay back attitude with such friendly open people.A very small city compared to Sydney, easy to get around but job opportunties could be less than the big city.No beaches around, you have to drive for about one hour, but then again, once there you have some of the best beaches in the world.Cost of living in certainly cheaper in Brisbane, weather is better but hotter in summer than Sydney.It depends are used to a big city or small? On the education side Sydney has far more to offer.

Sydney:Stunning city perched on the harbour with dozens of beaches at your doorstep.Lively,upmarket,modern and friendly city with heaps of opportunity in work..if prepared to work in hospitality industry..so many jobs available in restuarants,cafes,pubs,factories.BUT how is your English?The cost of living in Sydney is much higher than Brisbane..but then again you probably would earn more here after tips etc..etc..weather is great in summer/spring/autumn but cold in winter.Lots of schools teaching english...I used to take in overseas students whilst in short stays.There are heaps of organisations around that you can get home-stay.

Get back if you need more information on English speaking schools and accommadation.(sydney)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

Hi,

I study in Brisbane and it is fantastic! This city truly is one of the nicest places to live in Australia - it may not have the Opera House of Great Barrier Reef at its doorstep [those are only a flight away!] but it is such a relaxed, clean and friendly place to be that you will be glad you chose here! There are lots of different Universities to choose from - I study at the University of Queensland [its amazing] but there are plenty of other ones too that are worth a look at.

Brisbane welcomes international students in the thousands, and you would not have trouble finding work. As already mentioned, hospitality is probably a very good possibility, but there is a lot of different places that you could seek employment with. All in all, I think that you could not go wrong with choosing Brisbane - its so nice to live here.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

Brisbane is such a lovely city to live in.

8. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2007, 14:00
9. Re: Study in Brisbane or sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:16