We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip itinerary

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
trip itinerary

Hello all, your expertise is needed! Husband and I (we are 32 and 26) are thinking of making the trip be Australia for the first time in mid May 2010. We will have approx. 15 days to see as much as we can. We were thinking of spending 4 days in Sydney, inc. a trip to the Blue Mountains, but other than that we are not sure what to do. We've decided against going to Uluru because of all the extra travelling involved, but we definitely want to see the Great Barrier Reef. We're not really into hiking/walking, but love beaches, snorkelling, etc. The Whitsundays look beautiful but are we as well travelling up to Cairns/Port Douglas and seeing the reef from up there? We like our road trips but from what I've been reading it's perhaps not the best idea as a lot of the drive from Brisbane/Cairns or Sydney/Brisbane doesn't have much to see and is very long! Please advise!!! x

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip itinerary

Hi

For the Sydney part of your trip, there is plenty to do! Definately spend a day going out to the Blue Mountains, but then the rest of the time, spend around Sydney. If you are interested, you can climb the Harbour Bridge (www.bridgeclimb.com.au) and get the best views of the harbour!! Spend some time around the harbour and go on a harbour cruise (there are a lot of options from 1 hour cruises to lunch or dinner cruises etc). Across from the harbour is Taronga Zoo - they have just welcomed a baby elephant this week. You can get the ferry across the harbour to the zoo (the animals get the best view of the city!!) and spend a few hours there. You said you like beaches, you can also get the train and bus from the City out to Bondi Beach (it is only a few stops on the train from the City to Bondi Junction train station, then a bus down to the beach 5-10mins depending on the stops). Get some fish and chips and sit and people watch or go for a swim if it is warm enough! And of course, there always is shopping!!

It is a shame that you don't have more time, because going out to Uluru would've been great. But atleast you are aware of the time you would need to allow to fly out there and spend a few days seeing everything.

From Sydney you can get a direct flight up to the Whistundays. If you wanted you could spend 2 or 3 nights on one of the Whitsunday Islands. You can fly direct into Hamilton Island and then fly direct from Hamilton Island up to Cairns. You can choose to stay there on Hamilton Island or, get a ferry to another island. If you want more information on the islands, go to the Whitsunday Islands forum.

Or, instead of flying from Sydney to Brisbane, you could drive. To do the trip in 1 go usually takes my husband and I about 11 hours. But the drive is really nice. There are lots of beautiful towns along the way. Coffs Harbour is usually a good half way point (about 6 hours from Sydney and about 4.5 hours from Brisbane). The drive from Brisbane to Cairns, I would only do if you had more time because there is a lot more to see and the drive is much longer than the 1000km from Sydney to Brisbane.

For domestic flight information have a look at:

www.qantas.com.au

www.jetstar.com.au (low cost airline)

www.virginblue.com.au (low cost airline)

Hope you enjoy your holiday!!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip itinerary

Thanks for your input. I definitely like the sound of fish and chips at Bondi Beach! After some more research and thought, I am considering flying from Sydney up to Mackay, Townsville or the Whitsundays and driving down to Brisbane. That way the drive isn't so long as it would be from Cairns. But would we still see plenty of the reef, and other sights doing that? Or would you recommend going to Cairns?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,813 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip itinerary

To give you an idea of travel distances www.auinfo.com

Car rental rates www.drivenow.com.au

The Whitsundays are a beautiful experience, with plenty of snorkeling on the reef. www.whitsundays.com www.jetstar.com

Cairns offers a broad choice of trips out to the Great Barrier reef, as does Port Douglas which is furthur north. You have the opportunity to visit the Daintree Rain Forest, Kuranda, Atherton Tablelands and enjoy aborigine culture www.tjapukai.com.au

www.cairnseguide.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,207 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip itinerary

Hi,

I actually think you are best to drive from Cairns down to Townsville or Proserpine (Whitsundays) and then fly from Townsville to Brisbane.

That way you can see Cairns / Port Douglas / Mission Beach / Dunk Island / Tully / Hinchinbrook Passage / Townsville / Magnetic Island / Whitsundays.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Itinerary suggestion :

SYD - 4 days -

FLY CAIRNS - 3 days -

DAY 8, Drive Cairns to Whitsundays - stopover at Mission Beach see Dunk Island - 2hrs drive from Cairns. Spend time seeing Dunk Island. Drive afternoon to Townsville.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18947-Getting_…

DAY 9 - See Townsville attractions - drive over to Magnetic Island. Stay overnight.

DAY 10 - stay Magnetic Island.

http://magnetic-island.com.au/car-ferry.htm

DAY 11 - Drive to Airlie Beach. - stay and explore the islands. - 4 days.

http://www.whitsundaytourism.com/

FLY PROSPERPINE to BRISBANE. - Drop car back at airport.

Driving times. :

Cairns to Mission Beach - 2 hours

Mission Beach to Townsville - 3.5hrs

Townsville to Airlie Beach - 3.5 - 4hrs.

www.qantas.com.au www.virginblue.com.au www.jetstar.com.au

Edited: 18 March 2010, 01:02
5. Re: trip itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:18