We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wilson prom

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
wilson prom

I wanted to visit wilson prom this july 2010 but i hear that more than 50% was burned ilast year. Should i still visit or go to grampian instaed?

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wilson prom

Hi,

I don't know about Grampian, but we visited Wilsons Prom back in December and absolutely loved it.

Yes it was hit by fire, but is recovering very well. In fact fire is a necessary factor in regrowth. The fire damage did not affect our trip at all

We stayed for 3 nights in a cabin at Yanakie and had two full days walking. Absolutely loved it.

First day we did Mount Oberon and then down to Sealers Cove (this is a fantastic but long walk, so maybe not for everyone). The following day, we set off early and spotted lots of kangaroos on our drive down to Verekers lookout, which we climbed for fantastic peninsula views. Then we went back down and visited Millers Landing, which was OK, but not the best part of the park.

From here we drove to Squeeky Beach and then walked around the headland to Tidal River and back.

Apart from kangaroos we also spotted rock wallabies and wombats.

So don't let the fire influence your decision, Wilsons Prom is just beautiful and we wish we could have spent longer.

If you haven't done so already, then have a look at the parks website for lots of info

www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm…

Edited: 31 March 2010, 09:47
Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wilson prom

thanks for your assurance. i am actually not driving. do you think it will be difficult for me to travel around the prom by foot after the travel bus let me down?

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wilson prom

will you recommend any tour agent to go with?

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wilson prom

If you are arriving by bus, then it will be a lot more difficult to travel around the park, as I assume you will be staying at Tidal River.

From the park link I gave above, it seems that there are some organized walks from the cenotaph (monument) in the playground. But they seem to be limited to only one per month

I think it best if you email them any questions you may have ( info@parks.vic.gov.au ), as I assume most people arrive by their own vehicle.

They also have a list of tour operators

www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process.cfm…

Also, are you intending to camp, or stay in a cabin? If it's a cabin, then I suggest you book very very early, as there aren't that many and they get booked, up to a year in advance. We couldn't get one and therefore had to stay outside the park.

Hope this helps

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wilson prom

Both wilsons Prom and the Grampians have had recent burns, but both have recovered very well. Only a small area of the whole of Wilsons Prom was burnt..

From the small group tours there are - Bunyip tours 1 or 2 day tours from Melbourne and

Backpacker tours from Melbourne.

Possibly Echidna walkabout tours and

From Mountains to sea.

The YHA may possibly have a tour to Wilsons Prom. www.yha.com.au

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wilson prom

Sorry, thats - Australian coastal and Mountains tours www.acmtours.com.au

and

www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1guidedtours.cfm

will give you several operators when you go to the Wilsons Prom pages and includes the bus from Fish Creek to Tidal River if you are catching the VLine coach from Melbourne. That bus does not operate every day. Picks up at 6 pm. Friday from Fish Creek to Tidal River and returns on Sunday evening to Fish Creek.

7. Re: wilson prom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:18