We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible?

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible?

My 20 year old daughter and I have 10 days to see sites in Aust. I know it's a huge country/continent. We will fly out of Sydney and we're thinking of uluru, 2 nights, then Cairns, 2 or 3 nights, then Brisbane maybe, ending up in Sydney again, where we'll have an additional 4 nights. Can we drive part of this? Should we? Is there somewhere else we should go? We have to start and end in Sydney.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible?

If you only have 10 nights in Australia, don't try to visit more than 3 locations. Otherwise, you will find yourself just wasting your vacation in airports.

The "City, Rock, Reef" tour (Sydney, Uluru, Cairns) is popular for a good reason--it gives you a taste of three areas in Australia and can be done in a reasonably short amount of time. (Skip Brisbane this time.) There is no way that you can drive between these three places in a 10-day time frame.

If you have 10 nights, I would recommend: Sydney (4 nights, including a day trip to the Blue Mountains), Uluru (2 nights), Cairns, or my favorite, Port Douglas (4 nights).

You don't mention when you are coming, but be aware that in the Australian summer (Dec - Feb), Sydney will be hot, Cairns will be hot and humid and Uluru will be uber-hot. If you are coming in the Australian winter (June - August), Sydney will be cool, Cairns will be warm and Uluru will have cold nights and pleasant days.

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible?

If I take Sydney off of the 10-day trip, will I have time to see a 3rd place?

(I'll go to Uluru and the reef) There are 4 days AFTER the 10 where we have to be in Sydney.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible?

yes, and southern Queensland (Brisbane or the coasts) would fit quite well.

Edited: 26 April 2010, 00:32
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible?

You would fly in and out of Sydney and not stop to see anything? Or do you mean the ten days available is in addition to time in Sydney?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible?

Suggestion

Sydney to Uluru (Ayers Rock) www.qantas.com.au www.virginblue.com.au

Uluru www.ayersrockresort.com.au

Uluru to Cairns www.qantas.com.au

Cairns www.cairnseguide.com

Cairns to Sydney www.virginblue.com.au www.jetstar.com

www.visitnsw.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible?

We have additional time after the 10 days when I have to be in Sydney for

business (with afternoons off). So we can explore Sydney those days.

Where is the great coastal highway that people talk about? Is it north of Sydney or near Melbourne? Is it something I should try to drive?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible?

Great Ocean Road near Melbourne. There's also Sea Cliff Bridge near Sydney. Lots of other amazing coastline. We love the GOR and taking a scenic helicopter flight over it was the highlight of that holiday. But I've seen people say they've preferred other stretches of coastline, or it's not that different to other places in the world so if you've been to say Big Sur (I think that's the one?) it might not be worth making a special effort. It's what appeals to you and what fits into your timeframe. If driving yourselves best to take at least 2 days. Anyway, here's the official website, see what you think.

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/

Btw did you mention what time of year?

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible?

We will start our vacation June 26.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible?

Only 10 nights, you've already expressed interest in Sydney/Uluru/Cairns, and it will be winter. Under those circumstances I wouldn't be adding another destination which is further south.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it possible?

To help you visualise it, keeping in mind that in the southern hemisphere the climate is upside-down so the north is tropical. We don't have the snowplows and ice storms that you do in winter so I don't want to be totally discouraging about visiting the southern states in winter, my suggestion is based on your particular set of circumstances.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/maps/aust-usa-map.jpg