We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All credit to Qantas

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
All credit to Qantas

Our Qantas return flight to London last month was cancelled because of the volcanic ash situation and we were forced to spend an extra 2 weeks in Sydney, waiting for another flight. This involved us in a not inconsiderable expenditure for accommodation and subsistence.

On our return to the UK I submitted a claim to Qantas by email, more in hope than expectation, and was delighted to receive an email yesterday telling me my claim had been approved in full (all bar $40) and that my money would be refunded via my credit card.

So, well done Qantas and thank you. Good on yer!

OD

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All credit to Qantas

wow, really ? They didnt refer you to your insurance company or anything ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All credit to Qantas

40ish they were really good.

I spoke to a family on the train after I had an enjoyable lunch at the Australian and they had been put up in apartments on Day 1 in Waterloo and Q was footing the accom and gave them $100 allowance for food for a day.

They were actually disappointed they had a flight the next day home (not sure if they left though. They had actually booked thru Q holidays so i thought that may have been the clincher

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All credit to Qantas

OD, did you have travel insurance? Just wondering if Qantas was your only recourse.

I've got 3 family members heading off to UK/France soon and wondering how they will fare if the volcano continues to cause disruption

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All credit to Qantas

GG

I did have travel insurance (via my bank) but they told me in the first instance I should claim off Qantas and then claim any shortfall off them. The maximum amount they would have paid was derisory - only £250 per passenger - and they have since amended their small print to exclude volcanic ash clouds! There's banks for you!!

Qantas were great. I had various automated email acknowledgements telling me if would take 4 weeks for a decision as to what if anything they would pay. But they came back within a week. I had emailed them copies of all my receipts but even so, I was expecting them to come back and "argue the toss" over what I was claiming.

OD

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All credit to Qantas

Well as a life long AntiQantas person - it is very good to hear such positive feedback O-Dibble! Hope you got plenty more done in the enforced two weeks!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All credit to Qantas

Hi OD

Qantas to us has always been a fab airline not once but numerous times in difficult situations.

We also travelled through UK in the volcanic ash situation and I can add Qantas were absolutely fabulous regarding all our travel arrangements.

We also flew via USA to UK with American Airlines which were totally disgusting.....

I'm very glad OD Qantas looked after you.

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All credit to Qantas

Thanks,OD. I hope my lot have no need to claim for anything!

P.S. how about a trip report then?

8. Re: All credit to Qantas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 06:32