We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Australia!!!!!

Russia
5 posts
Save Topic
First time in Australia!!!!!

Friends,

I am heading to Ozland in Oct 12 and will be there for 3 weeks. I plan to visit first Sydney, then I need to go to Brisbane to meet with my friend. Any advises what to do during my trip, where else to go?I'd like to visit some islands as well. Would really appreciate ur help!!!!

Thanks,

Nat

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Some nice islands around Brisbane are:

Fraser Island

Moreton Island

Stradbroke Island

and then futher north in Queensland you have the Whitsunday Islands which are also magical. :)

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/frase…

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/brisb…

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/whits…

A good place to start is a guide book like Lonely Planet or Fodor's and see if anything pops out at you. There's loads of places we can recommend, but we'd have to know what you like first!

Russia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!A What about Melbourne what would you recon to see there?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

I'll leave that up to the Melbourne-ites to recommend! If you have any specific questions about Melbourne, you might receive a quicker reply if you post it directly in that forum, rather than the generic "Australia" forum:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255100-i278-Me…

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Dream71... where do you want to go?

Are you intrigued by the outback? do you want to see kangaroos in the wild or spend time in touristy spots with nightclubs? Do you want to learn something whilst you are here (diving, bushwalking, any adventure or perhaps even culinary course??) What do you like to do at home? think of the things which you like and then tailor your trip around them. No sense in going to the outback if you are a shopper who adores malls ... no sense in sending you to the reef if you get seasick and hate to swim.

Tell us more about you, your physical abilities, loves, dislikes and what appeals to you about Australia (as said above, do some basic research, look at the FAQ's on this site etc) and then post with a basic idea.

My idea of Australia is an outback pub, amazing red sand, a million stars at night, swimming with dolphins and sealions, drinking amazing wines and scuba diving.... but none of those may appeal to you at all.. see my point?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Hi,

I am goin to the Whitsunday's this coming January 2011 and I would like to know when is the best time to hire a sail boat or Catamaran (how will I be able to get the best "lowest" price possible), if it is better to hire it before arriving there, through one of those internet web sites or when I am actually there. What I am looking for is a charter boat, those where I can be with no more than 8 or 10 people. What would be the difference in the price, between hiring before and when I am there?

Thank you and I hope somebody can answer my question.

Martin.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. I see you have repeated your question a number of times. The best way to get the information you require, if google and a site search and the FAQ's have not provided an answer, is to post a new thread with a descriptive title in the correct forum. Adding questions to other people's existing threads is very rarely useful for anyone, certainly not when they are basically unrelated, and it is likely to lead to confusion when some people reply to the OP (who seems to be not coming back) and others reply to the later question. I'm sure you hope somebody can answer your question and you didn't mean to cause confusion.

usa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

TW Yacht Girl -

Those activities are what me and my friends actually would love to do. We have planned 5 days in Sydney, 4 days in Urulu, 8 days in Cairns and then 5 in Melbourne. Do you have any suggestions on how to get about the 1) redsand and night skies experience and 2) diving and swimming with seals/dophins,etc?

We are not scuba certified but would love to be... Any tips, references would be great. We do love the city but also roughing, outdoors and off the beaten path experiences.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Chaco you may like to post this on the Whitsundays thread as it will get lost in amongst this one.

I am hiring a Catamaran in the Whitsundays in three weeks.. in my opinion its a great time to be up there.. september/october/november.

I hired once at the end of January and the one thing which made my trip miserable was the enormous sand flies.. I still have scars from the nasty bites January is also high stinger season I think so perhaps January wouldnt be ideal time.. having said that it will be lower season so prices will be less. Google Whitsundays bareboat charter and you will see a whole list of operators. I won't specifically name the ones I've dealt with as most of the bigger companies with big fleets are fine. Choose the boat I want. If you are willing to risk it, you can always barter a "last minute" price but that will be dependent on boats available. The upside is that you can judge the weather when you are here.. if it looks miserable you simply don't hire the boat but stay instead on the mainland.

if you DEFINITELY want to do this sailing holiday I would advise to book ahead.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

Hi whitesand112, just to repeat, "The best way to get the information you require, if google and a site search and the FAQ's have not provided an answer, is to post a new thread with a descriptive title in the correct forum. Adding questions to other people's existing threads is very rarely useful for anyone, certainly not when they are basically unrelated, [especially to what the OP said in the original question] and it is likely to lead to confusion when some people reply to the OP (who seems to be not coming back) and others reply to the later question. I'm sure you hope somebody can answer your question and you didn't mean to cause confusion."

10. Re: First time in Australia!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 05:20