We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day cheap trip starting in Cairns ending in Sydney??

Stuart, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
9 day cheap trip starting in Cairns ending in Sydney??

My Husband and I are going to Australia in a couple of weeks and can't decide on an itinerary. We are flying into Sydney then directly to Cairns. We are going to dive the reef for 2 or 3 days then have the rest of our quick 9 day trip to discover something else however we must make our way back to Sydney to leave. We have thought about driving from Cairns to Brisbane stopping at Whitsundays for a day then flying back down to Sydney but I don't think we will have enough time. Any suggestions?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day cheap trip starting in Cairns ending in Sydney??

lots of boring stretches between cairns and brisbane. why not drive or fly cairns to whitsundays then fly to brisbane and then drive to sydney (coast or inland route) with the latter giving u a completely different aspect of australia. ok that would mean some additional one way car rental penalties but they are hard to avoid with your type of itinerary..

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day cheap trip starting in Cairns ending in Sydney??

You could fly Whitsundays to Brisbane like lien suggested - you could fill 4 or 5 days around Brisbane easily with things to do as well. It really depends on what you're interested in. Are there any big things you want to tick off? Fraser Island? Australia Zoo? Byron Bay?

If you could give us a bit more of an idea of your ideal holiday we could suggest something to suit.

3. Re: 9 day cheap trip starting in Cairns ending in Sydney??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 06:19