We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

Parker, Colorado
5 posts
Save Topic
25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

considering Australia for our 25th wedding anniversary. Is this a good idea and if so - cairns, red center, sydney would be the plan are we picking the right itinerary.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

You can't go wrong with Oz.

Your itinerary is a pretty good cross section. Cairns will give you a taste of the tropical and the barrier reef. The red center is like no other place -- I assume you'll go to Alice Springs (a tough town) and Ulura (the big red rock). Another really unique place in the red center is Coober Pedy -- it's an opal mining town where people literally live underground (Mad Max was filmed here, to give you an idea).

Sydney is beautiful, but a big city like any other. If you're flying around the country I would replace Sydney with Tasmania, or with Melbourne and Tas.

Up north around Darwin is another unique area. There you have Kakadu and Litchfield national parks and giant man-eating crocodiles.

Whatever you do, yes, Australia is a good choice for your 25th. Congrats and have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

What time of year & how much time will you have?

Also depends very much on what your interests are?

Sydney/Rock/Reef is a popular tourist itinerary, but there are many other options....

Parker, Colorado
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

February 8th is our anniversary so around that time which I understand to be high season.

Wanted to do at least one city and Sydney seems like a good option. Have heard both ways about the Rock - some seem to think it is a long trip for a half day result? Others swear by it. The reef is to ensure the relaxing part of the vacation.

We do like to walk/hike (just did the Grand Canyon this year) and I saw a lot of walking on the Sydney posts.

Hopefully that will help you give me some more ideas - I appreciate the replies.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

That helps a little Jackie, but you still didn't say how long you'll be here!

Feb is one of our hottest months, humid (& often wet) hot in Sydney & Cairns & very hot & dry inland.

Plenty of coastal walks in & around Sydney such as the Bondi to Coogee walk where you can stop for a swim to cool off. Lots of walking options in the nearby Blue Mountains, only risk there is that if it turns dry over the next few months there could be a high bushfire risk in that area.

For cooler weather/walking I would consider Tasmania.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

You could spend your whole time in Tassie. Cradle Mountain Walk is well known, Bay of Fires and Wine Glass Bay, Lots more there.

In Victoria - The Great Ocean Road Walk- can be done in sections. Alpine Walks and as in the Blue Mountains there can be a fire risk in February.

The later in February you visit the better chances of good weather in the tropical zone - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef area .

Edited: 05 November 2010, 13:54
6. Re: 25th anniversary - irish/uk live in US - Australia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 05:18