We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travellers cheques v cash v ATM

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
travellers cheques v cash v ATM

Sorry if this has been covered already, just point me to the link. If not what is best. I prefer ATM's for convenience but what is the best cost wise. We are travelling to Perth area then Brisbane area

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

ATM is usually the best way to go, but check with your bank about the OS ATM fees they charge. Always good to have a small amount of cash for incidentals once you arrive as well.

Here's a few recent threads on the subject:

tripadvisor.com.au/…29610395

tripadvisor.com.au/…27636937

More info here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-s601/Australi…

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

GK, that is very helpful, looks like it's cash and ATM's.

Cheers

Yvette

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

One more question.

It is essential that we have access to internet, we have a holiday rental business and this is a prime booking time for us (sad I know, we are supposed to be on holiday!) We have a Blackberry but this may be expensive to use particularly aas it seems most of the hotels we are staying in charge extortionate rates for internet access. We will also have a netbook with us so wondered if it is possible to buy a mobile internet dongle. If it is, what do they cost and which are the best value to use throughout the whole of Australia. We would probaably only need an hour or so each day.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

Re wireless internet access - there are several threads on this topic in this forum. Here's a recent one:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k4…

You can certainly buy dongles for your netbook (at Dick Smith and like stores, and even at Target). If coverage in rural areas is important to you, go with Telstra, but they tend to be more expensive. Vodafone only cover the main centres, but are good value. Optus are somewhere in between (but watch out their minimum connect requirement) - Virgin resell Optus and last time I looked, they had better deals.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

Thanks Gat, that's really helpful. I don't know what you would define as rural areas though. We arrive in Perth, hire a car and drive to Margaret River and Fitzgerald park, then back to Perth. Fly to Brisbane, go to Moreton Island, Noosa head and area then back to Brisbane. What coverage do you think we would get with the cheaper option? How much would it cost? Thanks so much for your help

6. Re: travellers cheques v cash v ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 06:32