We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

Let me know what you think of this itinerary. I am not a relaxer so I like to keep busy and see as much as possible. I did 4 islands in Hawaii in 9 days..and yes, I had a great time!

Day one: Arrive in Melbourne. Start drive to Great Ocean Drive.

Day two: Finish Great Ocean Drive and go back to Melbourne.

Day 3: Fly to Sydney. in Sydney, take harbor boat ride-perhaps Aborginal Cultural cruise, see Sydney Opera House, and walk across Sydney Harbor Bridege and perhaps Plyon Lookout.

Day 4: Take day trip to Blue Mountains. Echo Pt. Three Sisters, Katoomba Scenic Skyway.

Day 5: Bondi beach.

Day 6: Fly to Cairns. Do Tjakupai by Night.

Day 7: Day trip on the reef.

Day 8: Go to Daintree or Kuranda Scenic Skyway.

Day 9: Leave

What do you think? Am I hitting some of the high points in these areas?

Thank you.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

I wouldn't plan a drive in an unfamiliar country with driving on the opposite side of the road on the same day I get off the international flight. Maybe spend day one having a look at Melbourne and next day take a coach tour?

Btw, time of year?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

Depends what time you arrive and will head off on the GOR trip .. I presume you are only going as far as the Apostles then returning?

Two days is do-able but I agree with MacKnee.. after getting off a long flight this is perhaps not a road I'd recommend driving.. Perhaps drive to Lorne and stop there? How far were you intending to get?

In nine days you will only scratch the surface and you have no "outback" in your trip so I guess you will have to return one day

It's very rushed.. a lot of ground to cover IMHO If I had only nine days I'd probably have flown into Sydney then head up to FNQ, I'd possibly have left melbourne out the loop.. it's a long way to go for just two days on the GOR

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

The time of the year would be September. We have a stopover before we hit Melbourne to recoop from the international flight and then head to Melbourne so we should be okay by the time we get to Melbourne. Is Uluru better than the Great Ocean Road? I think that GOR is in a line and we both like the ocean so that was why we picked it. I have heard a lot about it. If I have not picked the right things, I welcome any suggestions. I appreciate any help that I get.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

I will go as far as the Lorne after the flight. Then go as far as the 12 Apostles before heading back to Melbourne.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

What is FNQ? We love the ocean so that is why we chose the Great Ocean Road, but if there is something more spectacular, please let me know. I know I have seen alot about Uluru, but it seems like a long flight and then there is the journey from Alice Springs to Uluru. What about Uluru makes it so memorable? Thank you.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

Hello Angel, I agree with Yachtgirl. The Great Ocean Road is very scenic, but just 1 night will not give you much time at all. FNQ means far North Queensland, a northern state of Australia ( I live here)

And trying to do the Kuranda Skyrail and then seeing the Daintree and Cape Tribulation all in one day is very rushed. You need to factor in the time it takes to travel to various destinations. Melbourne is some 2000k from Cairns and to fly to Alice Springs and Uluru is at least a 2 night trip, taking in travelling and sightseeing time.

As I mentioned,agree with Yachtgirl, head to Sydney, spend 5 days exploring the area including the Blue Mountains, (Sydney DE's and regulars can help with the best to see and do) fly to Cairns,

One day reef trip

One day Kuranda and Atherton Tablelands

one day driving Port Douglas, Daintree River Cruise, Daintree Rainforest, and then to Cape Tribulation perhaps stay the night

then back to Cairns and Home. Are you hiring a car in FNQ also?

This is in no way a detailed trip, just some ideas for your final itinerary

Perhaps post on the Queensland forum, Sydney forum and if you believe you have time to see the Great Ocean Road with a 1 night stay, the Melbourne forum

all the very best with the planning.

Edited: 18 December 2010, 12:54
7. Re: Tentative Itinerary for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:26