We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air fares at different times of year

England
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Air fares at different times of year

Had a good browse on the Qantas site re air fares at different times of year. There's a vast difference.

For 2011 in £s approx

First 2 weeks jan is 1350

mid jan to mid feb is 1170

mid feb to end march is 800

first 2 weeks april is 800

mid april to 20 june is 750

21 june to end june is 1100

1 july to mid aug is 1360

mid aug to end nov is 1100

i dec to 13 dec is 1200

14 dec to 23 dec is 1600

24 dec to 31 dec is 1360

We initialy planned to go mid july to end aug i.e. in one of the dearer slots.

However we could go April to mid May.

We don't want to "spoil the ship for a ha'poth of tar" and are not tight fisted, but if we were to save a lot on the flights we could spend it on more treats once there.

Our trip is three centres Cairns/Sydney/ Melbourne

Reason for july /aug was best weather in Cairns, coolest in Sydney (we're not to great in heat,) We realise aug in melbourne can be cold wet and windy.

But how would Cairns be in april and sydney melb be in mid May?

If you have read my other questions, you will realise I can get a bit obsessive planning holidays. Drives OH nuts. However I think it is worth taking the trouble to research deeply. and value the experience of those on this site who have helped so far.

Friends of ours who are much more impulsive, once saw an advert in a travel agents window for the Caribean and booked there and then. They thought they were going to the Dominican republic, which is an upmarket resort island. When they got there they found they were actualy in the island of Dominica which allthough nice in it's own way wasn't what they were expecting. Also a party of 8 we met who had popped over for the day to the island of Korcula, Croatia from the adjacent mainland, were staying in the wrong hotel. They thought they had booked for a posh place 75 miles away, in Dubrovnik, by the same same. The 4 women had taken stylish clothes for the evenng, but the hotel turned out cater for the adjacent camp site.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air fares at different times of year

With your love of planning, you might also like to consider school holiday periods and public holidays in Australia and any potential impact in terms of additional accomodation costs or airfare costs - often more expensive during those times IMO.

If it was me, I'd be coming in mid August which is a great time of the year to go north to Cairns, Darwin, or Central Australia. I think Sydney in September is great too.

As for the weather, it's so unpredictable these days so you just have to take the good with the bad, bite the bullet and come and see our beautiful country.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Melbourne Central
Melbourne Central
1,411 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
England
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air fares at different times of year

Thaks for the imput dougoOz

I know it's beautiful. That's why i want to bring current wife over. I lived in Shadforth Street, Mosman, Sydney for 3 years in the early 70s

Also had a 2 month hol in 1989/90

Covered most of the country except Tassie, western auustralia (apart from 2 days in Perth when the ship... we were £10 poms.....docked) and Cape York peninsular.

But that was 20 years ago and I'm out of touch.

I've found this forum brilliant.

Thanks one and all.

Edited: 30 January 2011, 19:42
Mentioned in this post
Mosman
Mosman
Greater Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air fares at different times of year

"Street, Mosman, Sydney for 3 years in the early 70s"

oooohh -- spooky, so did I !!

Mentioned in this post
Mosman
Mosman
Greater Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
England
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air fares at different times of year

We were right at the top end, In a block of units where the street turns right angles to the left and joins Avenue Road. I can still remember the address No113 flat 18

BTW I think you are the person that borrowed my electric drill and never gave it back.!

You will be hearing from my solicitors ...

Wright Hassle and Co.

Forthwith.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air fares at different times of year

T'wasn't me that borrowed your drill ... we down the other end of the street.

England
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air fares at different times of year

Fair enoughski.... my apologies

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air fares at different times of year

I don't know about what is posted and what is not. I thought I was going to get a really good deal from Quantas Airpass for LA to Syd to Alice Springs to Mel to Cairns to Syd to LA but it cost me $1800. The week before it was $1500 and included Auckland and got to go via SFO. I was concerned if I waited any longer I wouldn't get anything at all. The original price was $2500! All this is economy. If I was familiar with the country I would have held out longer but too anxious. BTW I am going at beginning of June! I think the price is outrageous and sorry I wasn't a bit more circumspect about it.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
8. Re: Air fares at different times of year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 11:19