We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Cambridge, England
2 posts
Save Topic
east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Hi,

My boyfriend and i are driving down the east coast from Airlie beach to Montville at the end of may this year.

We are looking for advice/ideas on places to visit or stay.

we really want the unusual things...... sights, culture, great places to eat etc. We don't mind the touristy things but we wol dlove some off the beat track ideas too.

Any ideas?.............

thanks

Candice

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

This drive is part of our itinerary when we visit Queensland in August. One off the track thing we are doing is staying at Myella Farmstay for a couple of days. This is about 1 1/2 hours drive inland from Rockhamptpn. You can go horseriding, feed animals, try whip cracking and lassooing. They also look after orphaned Joeys, and you can feed them. They also do 4WD trips round the farm and there is lots of wildlife including kangaroos. Web site is http://www.myella.com/. Day trip $110, 2 days $250, this includes all food, activities and pick up from Rockhampton. I don;t know if this is the sort of thing you are looking for, but good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Also other thinga we don't have time to fit is Eugenella National Park, where you can see platypus in the wild. There is a place to stay called Broken River Mountain retreat which includes activities such as guided walks and canoeing. Also off the beaten track is Finch Hatton Gorge. where you can do Forest Flying (zip wiring) across the rain forest canopy.

Also we are visiting Fraser Island, you can do day trips or stay there.Lots of info on forums. And you could learn to surf at Noosa, Agnes water or at Town of 1770. Just a few ideas. Buy yourself lonely planet's Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef'. Loads of great ideas for adventure off the beaten track.

Cambridge, England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Thanks so much for your ideas.

I love the farm stay idea, we will look into that.

What about beaches on the way down?

Phil is obsessed with swimming in the sea and lazing on the beach. Will we be out of stinger season (end of may)???

thanks

Candice

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Im no expert, as I have yet to make my trip, but looks like Agnes Water has some nice beaches, and also in the Noosa area Moolooba and Maroochydore look to have lovely beaches and a 'relaxed beach culture' (quote from lonely planet) Re the stingers, in my lonely planet book (honestly buy the book), it says stinger season is from November to June, on one page and from October to April, on another page, but only North of Agnes Beach. So maybe a bit dodgy at Agnes water, but Ok further south. I'm sure someone else could give you better info on this.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

Might have missed how long you have - so forgive me if I ramble on a bit.

On the stingers - the later in the year and the further south you are the happier I would be. From Noosa south is generally free of the real nasties with just blue-bottles when the north-easterlies blow for a day. I'd research the subject specifically.

On Agnes Waters - IMHO a dead ordinary beach for surf - calling it the most northerly of the surfing beaches is a bit of a stretch but they do have a surf lifesaving club there. One fun thing to do is to take the pink amphibious vehicle (the LARC) that travels from Town of 1770 (or Round Hill Head, as the true locals prefer, I understand) across the beautiful estuary and along the deserted beach then up the hill to Bustard Head lighthouse. Great trip on a good day. And you can take a fast catamaran from 1770 to Lady Elliott Island (or is it Lady Musgrave?) for a day trip from there as well - most southerly accessible island of the Barrier Reef. 1770 is off the highway - turn off at Miriamvale (used to be great crab sandwiches at the garage at the turn off) - so don't think you can just arrive there by driving down the Pacific Highway. But it is a lovely diversion.

If you can fit Fraser Island in, don't miss it. Stunning. Beaches you won't believe, rain forests smilarly, and Lake Mackenzie is to die for. Three days. Do it. Kingfisher is the resort on the lee side - or there are others on the ocean side. Watch swiming in the surf - noah's arks like the ocean side.

For surfing, Noosa is a peach - and it is a foodies paradise. The beaches from Coolum south to Mooloolaba are wonderful, especially around the headlands - the long straight beaches are a bit boring if miles of white sand and surf bore you. Again you will need to turn off the Pacific Highway to get to the coast - but that minor road along the coast is a treasure trove of lovely views and real Aussie surfing holiday haunts.

For great seafood - at least the take-away kind - go to the end of the Spit at Mooloolaba. There is a restaurant upstairs, but I'd buy the takeaway (trust them with whatever the special is), a ginger beer and go and sit under the she-oaks acrosss the park and enjoy the ocean view and the food - if that's not too low-brow after Noosa!

The first two weeks in May used to be the school holidays when I was a kid. The water seemed cool to get into, but for a couple of Poms, you'll find it just fine in late May.

If you need a hand with more details I'd be happy to see what I can dig up locally - might be an excuse to run over the route just for fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

GoingRoundAgain it's Lady Musgrave and its a great day out....1770 is just beautiful, the surf at Agnes Water was quite rough when we were there in Feb.

Rene

7. Re: east coast drive, airlie beach to noosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 08:18