We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

Four of us were travelling The Great Ocean Road recently and decided to stop off at the Otway Lighthouse for the scenery and have something to eat at the cafe there. Beware! Last time my husband was there, he had a $2.00 entry fee to the cafe and then if he wished to visit the lighthouse, there was an additional fee. This time we were visiting, the kiosk near the lighthouse was charging a flat $17.50 per person even if you just wanted to take in the scenery at the cafe. $35 extra per couple and that's before food! There were no signs indicating this on the highway and travelling for 20+ kms down the road to the lighthouse to be faced with this at the end was disappointing to say the least. Many of us just turned around and gave the place a miss.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

as darryl kerrigan would say "tell 'em they're dreamin'"

but that does sound a bit of a gouge.

thanks for the heads up.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

Sadly, many businesses find it necessary to do this because many visitors spend nothing.

While I appreciate that you probably would have spent up big in the cafe, most don't. It's tough running a tourism business in the face of a recession. :)

Luigi

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

but surely the cafe can be 'quarantined' from the rest of the attractions or at least some sort of rebate offered at the cafe for a certain purchase level.

i have been there many times. certainly would not pay $35 a couple even for the lighthouse climb.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
859 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

Cape Leeuwin lighthouse has a similar arragement, but at least the 'site access' fee, which gets you into the cafe, gift shop and the grounds, is still only $5. When I was there last year I was happy to fork out that amount, make the most of the views and photo-ops from the Cape, and skip the lighthouse climb ($15 - I think that was inclusive of site access). I suppose it comes down to the economics of the level of visitor traffic versus the cost of upkeep.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

I don't disagree that the fee is a little high, and other arrangements might be better. However, I also think that someone trying to run a business at the end of a 20km dirt road probably gets tired of the free-loaders, too.

Luigi

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

I often walk into a cafe, find that the food does not look appealing and walk out again. That doesn't make me a freeloader. If visitors spend nothing, maybe there is a reason related to the goods on sale. If it's a $17.50 charge just to get into the cafe, it would be nice to know that before driving 20km down a dirt road. I did the GOR a few years ago and did the detour to the Otway Lighthouse and didn't think that the view was worth paying for given the many other free great views along the road..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

We did much the same as others, drove down the road and when we saw the cost of going to the Lighthouse we gave it a miss. To charge to get to the cafe is ludicrous and in my opinion self defeating.

Sure charge a few bucks to get into the precinct to cover some basic costs but that is a total gouge.

I'm wondering if there is a Victorian "all places" pass that can be purchased to cover entry to all these places?

We have been to some great old lighthouse sites and never found charges that high.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

The website says it is a flat $17.50 to enter the precinct and visit the lighthouse, including climbing it. Nothing to do with the cafe really.

A bit steep in my opinion but they need to keep the thing repaired and the grounds in good condition

www.lightstation.com/index.php?page=entrance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

I looked at my records. We paid $8/head in 1998 to do the tour and see through the lighthouse.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Otway Lighthouse. Beware entry fees!

"Nothing to do with the cafe really"

i think the point of the post was that if u just wanted to go to the cafe and do nothing else it would still cost $17.50/head. maybe i was wrong but it does sound a bit strange.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 07:28