We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 Degrees Mastercard

Kilmore, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
28 Degrees Mastercard

Hi all. After reading various posts in here I had decided that a Wizard Clear Advantage credit card was the best for use overseas. It appears that Wizard have been sold off and the card is now called a 28 degrees Master card. Does anyone have one of these and what is the verdict if you do?

The interest rate looks a tad steep but I'm looking to load it up with cash before I leave and take advantage of no transaction or currency conversion fees, rather than use it for credit. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tweed Heads...
4 posts
Save Reply
341. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

W A R N I N G :

28 degrees have introduced a 3% fee on all cash transactions, ATM transactions and BPay transactions (which they consider a "cash" transaction). This fee applies even if you are drawing against a preloaded card that is well in credit. They haven't even changed their Conditions of Use Guide so be warned ! ! !

This card is therefore no longer the best card to use overseas EXCEPT for actual credit card transactions. The search now begins for a replacement "travellers" card. Suggestions welcome

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
342. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

Bob, that has already been noted in previous posts on this thread. THe Citi plus debit card is now recommended for ATM withdrawals but the 28 degrees will work fine as a fee free CC. The 28 degrees was never intended for the use to which we happily put it (getting cash at ATMs) and they have just closed the loophole. We certainly got lots of notice from them before it happened.

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
343. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

How did you get the notice about this? I didn't know.

And I was on the verge of uploading cash for my next holiday.

To say that drawing on debit cash was not ever their intention is not true. They advertise this service.

Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,695 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
344. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

There is a big heading on the 28 Degrees home page: "Important fee change to the 28 Degree Mastercard", and we received a posted notice from 28 Degrees.

28 Degrees has never advertised that you could load it with money and use it as a debit card. It has always been promoted as a credit card.

For getting cash from ATMs overseas, open a Citibank Plus bank account. This comes with a Visa debit card that can us used overseas without fees.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
345. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

I was also given notice about it by email........quite a few months before the fees were introduced.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
346. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

I got information about this charge printed as an "Important Notice" on my hard copy October statement.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
347. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

Yep me too.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
348. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

No notifications for me. Oh, and please forgive me for not checking the website of every company I deal with on a daily basis (surely there's only several thousand, so not too much of an impost?!) just to check whether they've decided that's the week they've decided they're going to start gouging!

349. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 02:46
Edited: 22 March 2014, 02:46
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
350. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

Occasionally looking at the websites of the financial institutions you use is a good idea. Surely you have to look to see your account anyway. And the notice was still there last month. It has now been superseded by a notice about possible fraud on the card. I was advised of this via email a few days ago.

If you are not being advised of things like this maybe check that 28Degrees has your correct email address and make sure you look at the website at least once a month.