We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express Global Travel Card

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
American Express Global Travel Card

Hi , has anyone had any experience with this card. ? I have read some poor reviews of similar products ie. Travelex cash cards etc. I want to buy some US dollars and lock in at todays good rate. I will be spending the money in the US. thanks - simon

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Just buy cash. If you use cash passports etc you will be paying exchange fees from $A to $US and back again. Steer clear of the banks as they will often have a commission or at least a flat fee for the conversion. The exchange booths you see around the city generally give you the best rates. I also believe Australia Post don't charge a commission either.

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

I would be careful about locking in anything at today's rates: it only means that you are betting that the AUD will not continue to gain in value against the USD.

A few months ago, someone was boasting that he had locked in a large purchase of USD at 92.5c.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

There's plenty of information in recent threads (see Melbourne forum this week) about getting USD. The 28 Degrees card, Travelex and just ordinary credit and debit cards are all options. And buying cash at a bank, as Oscar says, is an option if you really want to "lock it in".

I would be very cautious about expecting an American Express card to be useful in most countries of the world. Not a winner. Would you rely on being able to use Amex in Australia?

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Hi Simon. I purchased an Amex Global Travel card for use in the States and found it was fantastic. Unfortunately the rate wasn't as good as it is today but I'll be leaving what remains on my card for when I travel back to the States early next year and have been able to top the card up with spare cash, knowing I'm locking in the rate and my funds will never expire. I researched the other cards (Travelex, CBA & ANZ) but found they all charged a fee for when I wasn't using the card(after 12 months) or I forfeited the remaining funds when the card expired. I want to continue using my card for future trips which was the key reason I went with the Amex Global Travel Card. I've even been using it for online purchases with overseas retailers without any issues. I love it.!! Funky1

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Thank you everyone for great advice..I have decided not to put 'all eggs in one basket' so am buying some T/cheques and cash now to hedge on the current good exchnage rate. I will also get an Amex G/T card a bit closer to departure, I will also have my visa debit card as a backup.. cheers - simon

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Travellers' cheques and travelcards will give you a significantly worse exchange rate than using a debit card to get cash out of ATMs.

You should plan on taking a debit card, and maybe travellers' cheques as a backup.

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

I bought some travellers cheques online last night, I got almost one for one + an $8.00 fee. The good thing about using them in USA is that just about every business or descent shop will take them just like cash. I agree about debit card being better value but for the purpose of locking in some money at the current rate the T/C's look good.

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Hi funky wun - if you use Amex card for purchases do you get charged any type of commission..? would appreciate your advice - thanks , simon

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

"The good thing about using them in USA is that just about every business or descent shop will take them just like cash"

i travel to the usa every year and tc's had become so difficult to deal with over the last 5-7 years i stopped buying them. where abouts in the usa is your good tc experience?

i now use atm's and take cash and cc's as a back up. auspost does a good deal on cash. nearly 1:1 at the moment (0.9981 today) and no commission. they have commission free tc's as well at the same fx rate as cash.

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Simon, I wasn't charged any additional fees at merchants or retailers in the US. The GTC can be used just like a credit card in that sense (as long as there are funds loaded onto it). When the funds are low, I've been able to just reload it via Bpay and the card isn't linked in to any of my accounts. All my purchases and reloads can also be viewed online (GTC website). Good idea on the mixed wallet. Best to not have all your eggs in the one basket but if it's the States you're only travelling to, Travellers Cheques and the GTC are perfect. Funkywun.