We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express Global Travel Card

Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
American Express Global Travel Card

Hi , has anyone had any experience with this card. ? I have read some poor reviews of similar products ie. Travelex cash cards etc. I want to buy some US dollars and lock in at todays good rate. I will be spending the money in the US. thanks - simon

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Simon, just wanted to check that you know any funds loaded onto a US GTC is also at todays exchange rate so you can be confident you're taking advantage of today's strong Ozzie $. Once the funds are loaded onto the card, you've locked in that exchange rate til the day you spend it. Better still if the dollar gets better you can just top up via Bpay.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

That's the good bit, I guess. The PDS for the Amex GTC is here: https:/…product_disclosure_statement.pdf

The initial load fee is A$15. Reloads are charged at 1% of the reload amount or A$10, whichever is smaller. Amex's fees for ATM withdrawls are US$2, £1.25 and €2.20, plus any fee charged by the ATM owner. Transactions in currencies other than that in which the card is denominated incurs a 3% fee.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

I bought my GTC at Australia Post. They don't charge the $15 to purchase or the 1% for reloading at their branches. They're promoting 'Commission Free' which is ongoing as far as I know (as it's through all of the brochures) and the 1% Bpay reload fee is a up to a maximum of $10.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

I find the 28 Degrees Mastercard to be great for travelling overseas - no fees, no International transaction fees. You can join online & have it posted to you.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

I have to bow to logic, Funkywun. But I'm still scratching my head over how Australia Post can sell something for nothing. It must be a government business plan, eh? :))

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Luigi, their PDS states there 'may be a service fee in the exchange rate', that said I found the exchange really competitive when I got my card but you're right , they are a Government entity and I can only imagine, they must get a cut of the rate. Clever marketing....they got my attention!!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

There's fine print, is there?

Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

thanx funkwun - great info

Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Lien - that interseting info, I spent a lot of time in the US in the late 90's early noughties and the T/C's back then were taken just about every where like cash. Haven't been back for about 5 years so maybe its changed..? I will ask my brother in law for an update , he's a yank - lives in NM. cheers SK

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: American Express Global Travel Card

Funky how much did Amex then charge you to convert your USD withdrawals to AUD as that is always the clincher. I luv the 26Degrees (formely WizardMC) as no fees & charges only disadvantage is hoping the rate will be up when u withdraw. Have also used the ANZ travel card loaded with USD but there again conversion fees come into play either by cash withdrawal or as a c/c purchase

Tend to agree that Amex is not available everywhere if using as a credit card + merchants like here can charge xtra. TC's used 2 b a pain having to flash ur passport each time you wrote one out don't know if that's still the norm have not used them in years just find using ATM's now the most convenient.