We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the 'they said it, not me' award

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
the 'they said it, not me' award

I went to book a flight today

return ticket cost $118 - extra good deal.

but then came all the optional extra's I (sensibly ?) declined, which could have totalled over $90

$15.00 extra baggage - I am only going for 3 nights, no thanks.

$36.00 extra leg room seat - why, dont they space seats far enough apart

$11.95 flight insurance - I wont change my mind to travel, will the airline

$0.99 sms itinerary - why, will I forget I am flying without it

$2.38 carbon tax offset - isnt Julia going to make me pay that anyway

$14.00 credit card surcharge - why when they accept direct depost and Paypal no charge

$ ???? donation to charity - I give direct to those MY choice

$12.00 priority boarding - this was the best of all - pay $6 each sector to board first and avoid the stress.

AVOID THE STRESS, so flying with this airline will be stressful ????

they said it not me.

guess which Airline.....

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

, and yes doing the booking was stressful, had to deselect the insurance option not once, but twice, and also twice they tried selling me on the sms itinerary offer.

and I didnt mention previous, they also offered accommodation and rental car (not very special either) 'deals'

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

What does it start with ...? umm not t....

Where to return for $118 plus plus?

3. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 23:35
Edited: 23 April 2011, 23:35
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

Well I guess that's why they're called optional extras. Some people love em, some cant see the point. I assume you weren't flying very far as that ' extra legroom ' option would have been incrementaly attractive as would have the priority check in, rather than hanging out ( and squeezing in ) with the great unwashed....

Personally I appreciate being given choices and you would be amazes at how many people do. Even in my line of work people opt for SMS alerts all the time, and it has nothing to do with travel. And I would never assume traveling will be stress free nor not in need of insurance.

Tbh the airlines that are stil not giving customers the options to choose their on seats etc...are seriously lagging behind and need to be more responsive to their customers needs....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

Apologies for the straddie post above - very weird but my iPad has decided to drop in and old ( an old & completely irrelevant) post & I can't seem to delete it :-(

Edited: 23 April 2011, 11:15
australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

No, not Tiger who do charge for many things, Nor Air Asia who I thought until today had the most optional extras.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

That threw a spanner in the works 40ish. $118 return from Sydney to North Stradbroke even with extras would be cheap. :)

Where dev was the $118 return to? can't be too far, so it has to be ???? who are offering cheap fares at the moment and it's extra for luggage, and extra for the exit rows, and insurance. Never heard of the boarding priority though.

Oh I give up, I have to check my lotto win now!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
North Stradbroke Island
North Stradbroke Island
Redland City, Australia
australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

Only one airline flies this route hence I had no choice or I might have given up

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

40ish my iphone does that too - picks up a reply I did weeks ago and posts it while I am typing a fresh one.

Dev - its getting ridiculous isnt it. Remember the "olden days" when you just paid a nice set exact price and got all that as a matter of course (bar the legroom of course!).

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the 'they said it, not me' award

Sounds like Jetstar