We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

We were at Tulla quite early for the flight as we had to get the car back to avoid an extra days rental. Couple of games of scrabble passed the time. After boarding they told us there was a technical hitch to deal with before we left for Singapore. We eventualy left a hour late which caused a bit of panic as some people had connecting flights to get. We only had a 90 min gap so were a little concerned. However the pilot said they would hold that flight as there were so many getting it. The 8 hours or so passed quite quickly and I watched 3 films. "Country Strong" with a terrific performance from Gwyneth Paltrow. "Hereafter", a powerful moving unusual film. And "The Way Back" about 6 prisoners in the Siberian Labour camps who manage to walk to freedom in India. It's a true story . The film is based on the book "The long walk" which I read as a 12 year old and left a deep impression on me.

The change of planes in Singapore went ok. The new plane was an old 747 which was far inferior to the A380 airbus we'd been on. It was a BA flight and the crew were lovely. On all the qantas flights we'd looked forward to the meals as they were so nice. However the BA food was poor. The seats were so cramped and I spent a lot of time standing around in the area by the exit/toilets. Struck up conversation with several travellers which helped pass the time. We finaly got to Heathrow at 0500 hours, completely shattered.

We waited a couple of hours for my brother to collect us. Drove to his house, and picked up our car. We got to our house at about noon and collapsed into bed. Since then, 4 days ago, our body clocks have been a complete shambles.

Would I do long haul again?

I'd think twice to be honest or might even pay extra for more comfort.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

G'day Trickster - I've loved reading your reports (some of the most entertaining I've ever read) and I'm pleased you had a good holiday. Jetlag's a b@stard, isn't it ..... ;-)

"I'd think twice to be honest or might even pay extra for more comfort."

We've done 3 trips to the UK in economy since 2006 .... we're flying business class next time (September 2012) because we've come to the same conclusion you have .... travel down the blunt end is a pain in the @rse (and knees and other bits too LOL).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

I found the British Airway seats from Singapore to London very small and cramped. I would love to u!pgrade one day

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

Aw... shucks, T

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/3.gif[/img]

That should have been a smiley, but hasn't worked

Edited: 15 May 2011, 06:36
4. Re: Our Australia Trip.. Phase 6.... The Journey home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 06:20