We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road tolls

Colchester England
Level Contributor
96 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Road tolls

There appear to be many ways of paying road tolls and I've read so many adverse reviews about them that I'm totally confused.

I'm arranging a motorhome tour for early next year from Cairns to Perth via Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and the Nullarbor. As a once-only user of the toll roads what's the best method for me to pay? Also, by by-passing the cities of Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne that I've already visited (and accordingly they're not motorist friendly anyway) can I programme my GPS so as to avoid the toll roads altogether on my travels?

Any advice would be welcome, please.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road tolls

My GPS (a TomTom) definitely asks me if I want to avoid toll roads (if using a toll road is an option for that journey).

I don't know the procedure in other cities, but in Sydney if you find yourself on a toll road without an e-tag (which registers the journey and deducts the charge from the credit held against that tag) and if it's a totally cash-free road (eg the M7) you have 24 or 48 hours* to ring the number displayed on signs beside the road so you can pay by credit card.

(I've seen the signs, but as I have an e-tag on my car and it doesn't apply to me, I can't remember whether its 24 or 48 hours)

Edited: 18 May 2011, 20:49
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road tolls

This page has an excelent summary of the numbers to call. hotel.com.au/toll-roads-in-sydney-melbourne-…

The most convenient road past Brisbane is over the Gateway bridge which is a toll road. Around Sydney where the M7 toll road is best.

You can drive around Melbourne on the M80 which is toll free.

Luigi

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
759 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road tolls

my gps also asks if i want to avoid tolls. the problem is sometimes this can add an hour to the journey in deifferent places.

i think the best way would be to just take down the number from the signs and ring it at the end of the day to pay your toll. and pay via credit card so there is a record. otherwise some rental comanies will not only charge you the toll but also a huge admin fee of $20 or more if they get sent a toll notice.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road tolls

You don't have to worry about tolls in Melbourne if you don't want to visit the city. You turn off onto the Western Ring road (toll free) at Campbellfield, north of Melbourne and that takes you straight onto the Princes Highway west of Melbourne and on to Adelaide.

If you can't avoid a toll road, just drive through the toll point and, as Marmalade suggested, you can call the number on the signs. Alternatively, there is always a website listed and you can pay the tolls online within 48 hours.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road tolls

You can pay tolls in Melbourne by either ringing 132629 or on the CityLink website at https://www.citylink.com.au. You can by passes for either CityLink or a combination of CityLink/Eastlink. for short term periods on the site.

England
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road tolls

Now we are back in the UK we are just getting billed on our cc statement for the journeys made on toll roads in Sydney and Melbourne. We rang the appropriate no. to set up the ac in advance. There is a small set up fee. The dollars are being converted to £ sterling at a very favourable rate to us

i think this is a better system than needing to look out for the signs and ring the number. you might forget and get fined.

7. Re: Road tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 06:21