We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Cork
5 posts
1 review
Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi all,

I am planning a 3 week road trip with my girlfriend from Cairns to Brisbane in mid Oct 2011. I am hoping to book a campervan for the trip.

I have never been to Oz before so I am a little unsure of which campervan companies are reputable or not.

Can anybody please advise as to which are the best companies to deal with as there seems to be quite a few with large variances in prices?

Thanks

130 replies to this topic
Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
1. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi,

I did quite extensive research on campervan companies before our trip to Australia in October-November 2010.

Read some horror stories about the major ones with vehicles hardly being road legal. They were also quite expensive in comparison, they also charged extra for camping chairs and tables (actually they charged extra for pretty much everything).

We ended up renting with Around Australia Motorhomes:

http://www.aamotorhomes.com.au/

I don't know if they're the best in the business but they were really good to say the least. Nice and friendly staff at the depot. Very well maintained vehicles, spotless both inside and out.

We rented the 2 berth Voyager, ideal for a couple. Really nice not to have to convert the seating area into a bed every night. Also has aircon which saved quite many nights of sleep as it got quite hot. The vehicle also offers shower/toilet and a large fridge for all your "coldies" or food ;-)

We're going back to Oz next year and will definitely rent a Voyager again.

Cheers

Jörgen

Cork
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks so much for your very informative post , that's just the guidance that I need. I have priced the 2 berth voyager which is working out at circa €1800 for the 17 days. I feel that this is quite expensive, however and therefore out of my price range.

I am strongly consodering the Britz Hi-top , its a 2-3 berth for €1500 for the trip. It does not have a toilet though. We plan on staying at campsites every night so I dont envisage this to be a problem.

Have you any tips for us on our journey ?

Thanks again for your advice

Cork
5 posts
1 review
3. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Also can anybody advise as to whether I need to pay a 7.5k depost bond ?

Thanks all

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
4. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi again,

Hmm, the prices seems a bit strange.

Did a quick search both for a Britz HiTop and a Around Australia Motorhomes Voyager, 17 days, staring October 15 2011.

HiTop: AUD 3616

Voyager: AUD 3397

That includes liability package 2.

If you don't choose any liability package they will require a deposit. And as you've seen it's huge. So go for at least liability 1. If you hit a kangaroo with no liability you will have to pay for all damages to the vehicle.

Regarding tips for your journey. You are going after the school holidays which is good. Tends to be less crowded. However, if you do have any "must see" places it could be a good idea to secure a spot in advance at the camp sites. Something we really used in our van was the big fridge, so a big fridge is really good. We ended up cooking all our meals either in the van or at the campers kitchens in the caravan parks. We had a great time at the campers kitchen preparing our meals chatting with fellow campers. Enjoying a couple of cold ones as well :-)

Best regards

Jörgen

Cork
5 posts
1 review
5. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi again,

Thanks very much for all your advice Jorgen.

I will let you know how my travels go.

Thanks again

Cork
5 posts
1 review
6. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks for the advice, that deposit would definately have caught me out !

after further research I think I will be booking the Hi-Top with aamotorhomes as this comes to about €1500 with liability option 2 which only requires a deposit of $450. The van looks just as nice as the Britz if not nicer.

Thanks again for all you advice, really appreciated

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,498 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

This website allows you to compare prices across the major companies. Their descriptions about the levels of qualiy are also fairly accurate: http://www.discovery-campervans.com.au/

Luigi

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
34,020 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

www.drivenow.com.au

www.auinfo.com

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
9. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi again,

if you go with liability option 2 it's actually only an imprint of your credit card so no money will be "reserved" or charged. It was actually the old fashioned manual slip when we rented our van. When we returned the van (without any damages of course) the slip was torn.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time :-)

BR

Jörgen

Sydney, Australia
1 post
10. Re: Australia Campervan Rental Companies

Hi - I am sure that your trip is long since completed,

But for anyone else reading through this, I recently booked a 4WD camper van through Bear Rentals - they are a boutique little company based out of Sydney but they were incredibly helpful.

The 4WD option slept me and my girlfriend in a rooftop tent and was $150 but that included everything we needed for the trip - pots pans, table, chairs and table, fridge and even sat nav!

it was the middle of winter and we were still super comfortable! couldn't recommend them more!

They're site is www.bearrentals.com.au which they told me will be up and running soon, but I just booked on 1300 GO BEAR and they sorted it all out for me!

HAPPY ROAD TRIPPING PEOPLE!!!

Reply to: Australia Campervan Rental Companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted