We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

I've been hired to speak in Sydney in September and October. I have 2 weeks in between speaking events to travel. I will be there with my husband, we're mid-30s and have no kids.

I was thinking of flying to the Gold Coast (found a great deal for a 4 star on Travel Zoo) for 5 nights. I love the sound of Uluru but it really looks far. We're looking for amazing places and experiences but recognize we don't have much time.

A bit more information - we're not big into doing touristy things. One of our best memories in travel was going to a b&b in Umbria, Italy and having dinner around a harvest table with couples from all over the world.

Any recos on where we should go would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

I think there are lots of things in Australia that are "amazing" and I think going to Uluru and the Red Centre is one of those places on earth worth going to ...for me, the GC is nice but not "amazing".

If good food and site seeing is something you want to combine together, you may want to think about a week or more in Tasmania which has some fantastic produce and great scenery and is easy to get around, and lots of accommodation options. It would take a couple of hours to fly from Sydney to Hobart.

And BTW, it would take you around 3 hours to fly to Uluru from Sydney - how long does it take to fly here from Totonto ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

I agree with DougOz about the Gold Coast, you really aren't going to experience anything like what you described as your best experience on the Gold Coast staying at a 4 star hotel.

You have travelled all that way to get here, Uluru isn't that far in comparison. Another idea would be to travel along the Murray River on the border of NSW and Victoria and stop at some of the towns along there. Also consider a wine tour of either the Barrossa or the Hunter Valleys.

Queensland is so much more than the Gold Coast. Have you considered the Whitsundays and the barrier reef, or an outback train trip around Queensland (this would be a good way to meet locals and other travellers) which would start in Brisbane and take you through some amazing country and outback towns.

In 2 weeks you could have 2 totally different experiences.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

May I ask what has attracted you to the Gold Coast, since it seems to be the first thing on your list, but I also have to agree it doesn't seem to fit with what you then go on to say you're after?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

And can we get an idea of your budget as that can really influence our recommendations.....

5. Re: 3 weeks in Sept/Oct starting in Sydney - Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 15:18